/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?]
Posted By: Hamish SinclairDate: 5/11/02 10:01 a.m.

In Response To: Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?] (Ernie)

: Ok, I may be out of the loop, but what real significance is there to these
: 'lost colonies' theroy?
: What I gather is: -They are mentioned, in nonspecific detail, in the Cortana
: letters,
: -There mentioned somhow in the Halo DVD making of that people are getting
: from the Bungie store from ordering,

On the Making of Halo DVD? Where/when was this mentioned?

: -People THINK thre mentioned in some sentences in the Halo book FoR.

Aye. There are conflicting reports here. Someone needs to go back through the book systematically. But it wouldn't surprise me if all reference to these colonies was dropped. Afterall that invisible Cortana letter dates from mid-1999. Halo was released late 2002. That's almost two years and half years. A lot of water under the bridge.

: What I dont know is: -Where does this come into either the Marathon or Halo
: universes? At what point, going from the assumption that Marathon/Halo are
: in the same universe (U.E.S.C Marathon is blissfully travaling to Tau ceti
: while Halo the game is going on), do these 'lost colonies' matter really?
: DO they have an impact of some kind of Halo or Marathon universes as we know
: them?

: To me this topic just came out of the blue, and im confused. : D
: -Ernie

I believe the lost colonies idea was an attempt to explain (in Halo) the rise and fall of an earlier human civilisation. Call it waves. Mankind ventures into space, establishes colonies and eventually meets/finds something that wipes most of humanity out. A few isolated colonies survive but are cut-off. These are rediscovered by the next wave of mankind. Note the line in the Cortana letter:

"Unexpected contact with indigenous human populations on four "lost colony" worlds led to a frenzy of research as archaeologists, theologians, astronomers, and evolutionary biologists competed to offer an explanation for the startling discovery."

The theme has been used before in sci-fi before.

Cheers
Hamish

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The lost human colonies in halo.Rick Blaine 5/8/02 3:38 p.m.
     Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Jacke 5/8/02 5:25 p.m.
           Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Rick Blaine 5/8/02 6:03 p.m.
                 Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Tru7h 5/8/02 7:48 p.m.
                       Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Hamish Sinclair 5/9/02 12:19 a.m.
                             Re: The lost human colonies in halo.archon 5/9/02 1:23 a.m.
                                   Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Rick Blaine 5/9/02 10:14 a.m.
                                         Re: The lost human colonies in halo.zudo 5/9/02 12:08 p.m.
                                               Re: The lost human colonies in halo.Tru7h 5/9/02 3:14 p.m.
                                                     Re: The lost human colonies in halo.[Tycho?] 5/9/02 5:32 p.m.
                                                           Re: The lost human colonies in halo.zudo 5/10/02 9:53 a.m.
                                                                 Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?]Ernie 5/10/02 3:15 p.m.
                                                                       Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?]Hamish Sinclair 5/11/02 10:01 a.m.
                                                                             Re: The lost human colonies in halo. [?]Rick Blaine 5/11/02 1:01 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.