/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...
Posted By: SolipticDate: 4/25/02 9:19 p.m.

In Response To: Books and video games (Alfred Mordeir)

Okay, I had read all four DOOM books (years ago mind you), lemme throw down a small synopsis. Bear in mind, these are 4 books of explainations as to why there are demons invading the Earth from Mars' moons. Now, personally, I never cared. When playing Doom I was like "Wow, rocket+imp=squish!", why they decided to make a novel (er, 4 "novels" in a "classic space opera") from this is beyond me. Ok, on to the synopsis (warning spoilers):

As best I can remember it goes down somthing like this: There is this one alien bad ass civilization who basically rules the known universe. One day, they wig out and vanish, leaving ruins and all kinds of crap like that everywhere across the universe (hmm, heard that one somewhere before). Chief among these is something I seem to recall being some kind of book or something. Anyway, the races the develop after this find this book, and begin to argue about it's meaning (I guess they don't have anything better to do). 2 factions form, the Deconstructionists and the Constructionists. The Deconstructionists are not nice people, they want to destroy everything (or something like that).
There is no FTL or hyperspeed space travel in the DOOM universe apparently, I think I may have forgotten to mention that. Anyway, the main method of travelling around is these "gates" that the old race left behind. As it just so happens, Deimos happens to have one of these gates. So, the marine guy from the DOOM games is given a name, Flynn or something like that. As the first book begins, his marine unit goes to Phobos to try to find out why contact was lost with the miners there or whatever was going on. Flunn gets stuck in the brig for all intents and purposes for punching some jackass liutenant prior to the book's begining (there is always one of those jackass liutenant types isn't there?). So, the marines go in, and big suprise, they're slaughtered wholesale. Flynn ounches out one of the redshirts guarding him, swipes his pistol, and heads off unarmored into the Phobos base. Sometime later he runs across the female lead of the "plot" a marine bud of his named Arlene. They kill zombies, imps, and generally make a huge mess. Somewhere in there it becomes the 2nd book, they go down to Earth, and land outside Salt Lake City. It seems only the Mormons (who had a military and food stockpile beneath the tabernackle, who knew?) have survived the "Demon" invasion. Marines hook up with Mormons, fight demons, then book 3 hits. I don't really remember book 3, but that's okay, you're not missing much anyway. If you really want to know, let's just assume they kill stuff, that sounds right. Somewhere in here, for some infathomibly stupid reason, they decide to go back to Deimos (morons). Where they're ShangHied by some other Constructionist aliens who explain the "plot" (but not really), then they spend an ass ton of time in slow ass spaceships going to fight the big bad deconstructionists, only to find someone else beat those bastards down first. I don't remember really what happens after that, but that's okay, it doesn't really matter.

Here's what this all really comes down to.

Number of Books based on DOOM: 4
Number of books based on Marathon: 0

There ain't no justice.

-sol
b.org-->marathon-->bighouse-->tc19

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Books and video gamesAlfred Mordeir 4/25/02 7:26 a.m.
     Re: Books and video gamesBoomer 4/25/02 7:44 a.m.
           Re: Books and video gamesD-M.A. 4/25/02 10:53 a.m.
     You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyCallie21V 4/25/02 10:19 a.m.
           Re: You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyHamish Sinclair 4/25/02 10:43 a.m.
                 Re: You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyMark Levin 4/25/02 1:06 p.m.
                       Re: You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyHamish Sinclair 4/25/02 2:07 p.m.
                             Re: You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyFred 4/25/02 3:41 p.m.
           Oh yeah...Hamish Sinclair 4/25/02 10:49 a.m.
                 Doom sucks! *NM*Boomer 4/25/02 11:40 a.m.
                       Wow.. i.. guessErnie 4/25/02 3:13 p.m.
     Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Soliptic 4/25/02 9:19 p.m.
           Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Alfred Mordeir 4/25/02 10:03 p.m.
                 Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Soliptic 4/26/02 3:09 a.m.
                 Marathon books... good idea?Brian Dubick 4/28/02 9:15 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon books... good idea?archon 4/28/02 9:47 p.m.
           Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Hamish Sinclair 4/26/02 12:20 a.m.
                 Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Inverted Sock Puppet 4/27/02 5:37 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.