/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

You weren't dreaming... unfortunately
Posted By: Callie21VDate: 4/25/02 10:19 a.m.

In Response To: Books and video games (Alfred Mordeir)

According to this page, there are four such novels... though only the first has yet been reviewed.

Each time you refresh the page, one of a dozen random paragraphs pop up:

It was a Bosch canvas, severed limbs and hollowed-out trunks - eaten out by animals, I prayed - planted through the fields like stalks of corn, blood painting doors and walls like the first Passover...except it was human blood, not lamb's blood.

I closed my eyes, listening to the powder hiss, bullets crack, the metal clang of receivers slamming back home. The screams of the dying. The shouts of the victors. I smelled the smoke from the smokeless power, the primer, fresh blood.

I'm in hell, I remember thinking; I'm in hell.

I volunteered to go along. Sometimes I'm not very bright.

Jesus Christ! As the Godfather once said, there are men who go through life begging to be killed.

Traveling through a million miles of nothing in a little cubicle just so you can reach another cubicle at the end is not my idea of the conquest of space.

At times like this, nothing is more welcome than an anti-climax.

When the fearsnake slithers around inside your gut, it's pretty damned easy to just start squeezing off at anything that moves.

I was crazy, buggin', freaked like some hippie punk snot flying on belladonna.

I leaned against the wall, and suddenly it was like those old Abbott and Costello movies back Earthside: the wall had a hidden door. I even tripped going through the blasted thing. In my mind a laugh track played and played and played.

It sounded odd, but the results were great: red blood splashed us both, and she kept at it, screaming a war cry that just might scare a fallen angel.

The alien monster laughed, opening its mouth wide enough to swallow a man's head. "Weee throw rocks...big rocks."

To enter or not to enter? That was as good a question as any I'd had all day. Staying behind meant facing inconceivable danger and unimaginable odds. Whereas going forward meant facing unimaginable danger and inconceivable odds. Or something.

*shudder*

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Books and video gamesAlfred Mordeir 4/25/02 7:26 a.m.
     Re: Books and video gamesBoomer 4/25/02 7:44 a.m.
           Re: Books and video gamesD-M.A. 4/25/02 10:53 a.m.
     You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyCallie21V 4/25/02 10:19 a.m.
           Re: You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyHamish Sinclair 4/25/02 10:43 a.m.
                 Re: You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyMark Levin 4/25/02 1:06 p.m.
                       Re: You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyHamish Sinclair 4/25/02 2:07 p.m.
                             Re: You weren't dreaming... unfortunatelyFred 4/25/02 3:41 p.m.
           Oh yeah...Hamish Sinclair 4/25/02 10:49 a.m.
                 Doom sucks! *NM*Boomer 4/25/02 11:40 a.m.
                       Wow.. i.. guessErnie 4/25/02 3:13 p.m.
     Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Soliptic 4/25/02 9:19 p.m.
           Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Alfred Mordeir 4/25/02 10:03 p.m.
                 Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Soliptic 4/26/02 3:09 a.m.
                 Marathon books... good idea?Brian Dubick 4/28/02 9:15 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon books... good idea?archon 4/28/02 9:47 p.m.
           Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Hamish Sinclair 4/26/02 12:20 a.m.
                 Re: Doom Books, quick synopsis...Inverted Sock Puppet 4/27/02 5:37 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.