/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor? - Or S'pht?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 4/14/02 2:07 a.m.

In Response To: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor? (Cameron Kilgore)

: If anyone has a Pfhor-to-English alphabet they've made, mail me.

Actually, what you've displayed is S'pht. Which brings up an interesting point - we never hear the S'pht talk at all. Presumably they don't need spoken language to communicate with each other, since they are all networked, but how do they communicate with the Pfhor?

Anyway, getting back to the Pfhor, I can't recall seeing anything resembling a written language anywhere in the game. Am I wrong about that? Whenever we read a Pfhor terminal, the Pfhor-English translator is operational. Which brings up another point - why would Pfhor and S'pht terminals have an English traslator in them? Or is the translator in our HUD - but if so, when did we learn to translate Pfhor?

There are some references in the game to Pfhorish, and Narish for that matter. In Rubicon, Durandal has some comments on Pfhorish as well, but I don't think that we ever get a real glimpse into their language. Why aren't there even written labels on switches and doors? You'd expect to see something resembling written symbols in a Pfhor space ship, wouldn't you?

One final comment that has perhaps been discussed before. There is a significant change in the sound of the Pfhor between M1 and M2. Does this have any significance, or was this just one of those "improvements" that Bungie introduced as they did with changing textures etc?

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Anyone know how to speak Pfhor?Cameron Kilgore 4/13/02 10:13 p.m.
     Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor?D-M.A. 4/13/02 11:37 p.m.
           Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor?Vid Boi 4/15/02 6:50 a.m.
                 Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor?D-M.A. 4/15/02 9:59 a.m.
                 Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor?eXistenZ 4/15/02 3:12 p.m.
                       No, it's Pfhorish NTD-M.A. 4/16/02 1:27 a.m.
     Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor? - Or S'pht?Steve Levinson 4/14/02 2:07 a.m.
           Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor? - Or S'pht?Hamish Sinclair 4/14/02 8:35 a.m.
                 Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor? - Or S'pht?M-Class 4/14/02 11:19 a.m.
                       Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor? - Or S'pht?Tru7h 4/14/02 5:24 p.m.
                 Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor? - Or S'pht?Steve Levinson 4/14/02 5:42 p.m.
                       Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor? - Or S'pht?dead_headless 4/17/02 2:35 p.m.
     Re: Anyone know how to speak Pfhor?Vid Boi 4/15/02 6:46 a.m.
     How to speak PhorishTru7h 4/17/02 3:03 p.m.
           anybody found the joke yet? *NM*Tru7h 4/18/02 2:02 p.m.
                 Re: anybody found the joke yet?Johannes Gunnar 4/18/02 3:52 p.m.
                 Djof has an unfair advantage at finding this 1 out *NM*Tru7h 4/18/02 5:26 p.m.
                 yeah...Vid Boi 4/19/02 1:40 a.m.
                       HEHE:) *NM*Tru7h 4/19/02 5:03 a.m.
                             Got me there! *NM*Djof 4/20/02 6:22 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.