/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Yup
Posted By: MannonDate: 4/13/02 5:31 p.m.

In Response To: Re: *Oni Level end spoiler* ;p (Tru7h)

I guess we shouldn't surprised, given that we already know Bungie have cited 2001 as inspiration in the past. I believe there are other 2001 references as well, but I'm not nearly as well versed in Bungie's history.

It is interesting that here we have both a Marathon reference and a 2001 reference in the same scene. In fact, they are very close together. The Marathon reference in in Shinatama's text just before the Deadly Brain's text that has the 2001 reference.

In the spirit of these boards, I will proceed to overanalyze this. There are 38 words between the references. Of those 38 exactly 19 are said by Shinatama and 19 are said by the deadly brain.

Well, that's not too terribly interesting.

How about this.

In the brain's text he says, "Hath not a Brain feet?" He then lists several other things in the next sentence. Guess how many things he lists in total? Well, 7 OF COURSE! (feet,hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions) The first three are physical parts of a person, and the last three are more or less mental parts of a person. The central on (dimensions) is a bit hard to classify without better context.

Dictionary.com (because I can't be bothered to actually crack open an old fashioned Webster's, heh) has this to say...

di·men·sion Pronunciation Key (d-mnshn, d-)
n.
A measure of spatial extent, especially width, height, or length.
Extent or magnitude; scope. Often used in the plural: a problem of alarming dimensions.
Aspect; element: “He's a good newsman, and he has that extra dimension” (William S. Paley).
Mathematics.
The least number of independent coordinates required to specify uniquely the points in a space.
The range of such a coordinate.
Physics. A physical property, such as mass, length, time, or a combination thereof, regarded as a fundamental measure or as one of a set of fundamental measures of a physical quantity: Velocity has the dimensions of length divided by time

That's just a quick copy/paste, which probably will turn out pretty nasty looking. Here's a link for your convenience.

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=dimensions

If we interpret "dimensions" by the first meaning then we'd catagorize it with the first three. The second meaning I think I'd catagorize with the second group, but you could make the case either way. The third meaning obviously fits in the second group. The fourth and fifth just as obviously fit in the first group.

Interesting, evidently the word dimensions is pretty damned vague. ;p

Of all the things the deadly brain mentions the having of dimensions has to be the most interesting, and thought provoking. Especially given the nature of the rest of the list, and it's position within it. In fact the word seems to make a nice little segue from the physical to the nonphysical characteristics it mentions.

I wonder, since the deadly brain obviously does not have feet, or hands, and probably has no organs left other than the brain itself, (which would be like saying a stomach has organs, or a car has vehicles) does this imply that the brain is also lacking dimensions, senses, affections, and passions?

But, it must have senses to interact with the outside world. (Even if only to fire machine guns, and launch screaming cells at you.)

Okay, back to dictionary.com... Here's a link so you can see the full text.
http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=senses

The first meaning is pretty much physical, and the deadly brain almost certainly had it, but let's look at the others meanings listed.

"2. senses The faculties of sensation as means of providing physical gratification and pleasure."

Well that's certainly a bit more borderlined. I assume the brain does posses the faculties of sensation part, but is it capable of physical gratification and pleasure?

Moving on...

"3. a. An intuitive or acquired perception or ability to estimate: a sense of diplomatic timing.

b. A capacity to appreciate or understand: a keen sense of humor.

c. A vague feeling or presentiment: a sense of impending doom.

d. Recognition or perception either through the senses or through the intellect; consciousness: has no sense of shame."

Okay, wow, that's an interesting one. VERY secong group, and very likely the brain may not have some of those. Says some interesting things about deadly brains too.

The fourth I don't think applies directly here so I'll just leave it.

Same for the fifth and sixth meanings listed. Well, that's just my opinion. *shrug*

So, what does all of this say about deadly brains, and by extrapolation, what could it infer about rampant AI's and Bungie's opinions about Hal?

Of course this is all just wild speculation... one might even say Rampant.

mwahahahaha!!!

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

frogblast *OT*Mannon 4/12/02 2:59 a.m.
     Re: frogblast *OT*D-M.A. 4/12/02 5:01 a.m.
           Re: frogblast *OT*Mannon 4/13/02 6:00 a.m.
                 Re: frogblast *OT*Tru7h 4/13/02 6:40 a.m.
                       Re: frogblast *OT*Mannon 4/13/02 6:57 a.m.
                             Okay here comes... just a sec... *NT/NM* *NM*Mannon 4/13/02 7:37 a.m.
                                   *Oni Level end spoiler* ;pMannon 4/13/02 7:56 a.m.
                                         There you have it...Mannon 4/13/02 8:04 a.m.
                                               Pics...Mannon 4/13/02 8:55 a.m.
                                                     And one to grow on...Mannon 4/13/02 9:23 a.m.
                                         Re: *Oni Level end spoiler* ;pTru7h 4/13/02 10:31 a.m.
                                               YupMannon 4/13/02 5:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: YupTru7h 4/13/02 6:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: YupMannon 4/13/02 6:47 p.m.
                                                                 Re: YupTru7h 4/13/02 7:38 p.m.
                                                                       Re: YupMannon 4/14/02 12:32 a.m.
                                                                             Re: YupTru7h 4/14/02 7:09 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: YupMannon 4/14/02 9:56 p.m.
                                                                             *Oni Level end spoiler* The deleted scene!!! lolMannon 4/14/02 11:31 p.m.
                                                                                   There is no four...Mannon 4/15/02 1:26 a.m.
                 Re: frogblast *OT*Granny Smith 4/15/02 7:45 a.m.
                       im still stuck on the dang rooftop level *NM*Tru7h 4/15/02 2:57 p.m.
                             Huh? Which part... *How* can you get stuck? *NM*granny smith 4/17/02 6:54 a.m.
     Re: frogblast *OT*Boomer 4/12/02 10:05 a.m.
           Re: frogblast *OT*Vid Boi 4/12/02 12:44 p.m.
                 Re: frogblast *OT*Mannon 4/13/02 5:16 a.m.
     Re: frogblastM-Class 4/12/02 1:06 p.m.
           Re: frogblastMannon 4/13/02 5:14 a.m.
                 Re: frogblastMazilurik 4/13/02 7:06 a.m.
                       thx, butMannon 4/13/02 9:29 a.m.
                             Re: thx, butMazilurik 4/13/02 11:33 a.m.
                                   Re: thx, butMannon 4/13/02 3:20 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.