/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Nostalgia
Posted By: MannonDate: 4/13/02 6:17 a.m.

In Response To: Nostalgia (VoodooLabRat)

You wish... I WISH!

I never got to play Marathon, but from what I've read it was very ahead of it's time.

In fact, it may not have matched Quake for technology (Actual 3d graphics, ect) but it certainly kicked the shit out of Quake for story, and probably gameplay as well. The mere fact that you actually have to accomplish things in Marathon is WAY different. Both Doom and Quake are really just about killing all the things that can die, and flipping all the switches that can be flipped. Sure, there are a few puzzles, but their just puzzles, there are no goals other than survive, and get to the next area. You aren't accomplishing anything, it's just bleh...

In PC FPS games it took Half-Life before story oriented gameplay really came out. If Marathon had been released for PC we'd have had that revolution sooner. Perhaps in time for Sin and (dare I say) Daikatana not to suck. (Actually Sin didn't suck, it just couldn't compete with HL. It even had some nifty things HL didn't especially for mappers.)

As is, we got here anyway, but I'd be willing to bet that Marathon had something to do with it. We all know game developers all play each others games and build on each others ideas. I'd be willing to bet some of the Valve people were quite aware of Marathon, and may have played it. (Of course, they may not have, but I bet we could trace some influences in HL's developement back to Marathon given the chance.)

As for today, I just wish they'd either make a new Marathon (Halo=interesting and fun, but no Marathon) and/or remake M1 (or all three!) for today! I'd really like a PC version of Marathon, but I'll take X-Box too. I'd even be thrilled with a new one for the Mac, even though I couldn't play it. I would at least get to read all the cool new stuff discovered in it on this site. ;p

PS. Okay, okay... I admit that I'm an ex Mac hater, but then, I hate MS too... blah. Well, I don't hate Mac anymore, I just can't afford it, and I like to customize my shtuff. ;p I never buy computers, I buy components... waste not want not, or something. Anyway, I'm not starting a flame war on Mac vs PC here, so forget it. I'm jus saying, because I never played Marathon, but I LOVE the game. (Strange, no?) Well, that's why, I never owned a Mac.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

NostalgiaVoodooLabRat 4/11/02 10:09 a.m.
     Re: NostalgiaD-M.A. 4/11/02 11:25 a.m.
           Re: NostalgiaVoodooLabRat 4/11/02 11:35 a.m.
                 Actually Mozilla kicks netscape & exploder ass. *NM*Vid Boi 4/11/02 2:09 p.m.
                       Re: Actually Mozilla kicks netscape & exploder assVoodooLabRat 4/11/02 2:23 p.m.
                             Re: Actually Mozilla kicks netscape & exploder assSam 4/11/02 3:21 p.m.
                             Re: Actually Mozilla kicks netscape & exploder assD-M.A. 4/12/02 4:46 a.m.
                                   Re: Actually Mozilla kicks netscape & exploder assD-M.A. 4/12/02 5:05 a.m.
                                         Re: Actually Mozilla kicks netscape & exploder assMark Levin 4/12/02 6:55 a.m.
                                               Re: Actually Mozilla kicks netscape & exploder assHamish Sinclair 4/12/02 7:30 a.m.
                                               System Shock? *NM*Andrew Nagy 4/13/02 7:47 p.m.
           Re: NostalgiaDemosthenes 4/11/02 10:02 p.m.
                 Re: NostalgiaSerialSPNKR 4/12/02 3:41 a.m.
     Re: NostalgiaMannon 4/13/02 6:17 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.