/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: frogblast *OT*
Posted By: MannonDate: 4/13/02 6:00 a.m.

In Response To: Re: frogblast *OT* (D-M.A.)

I just remembered another, less amusing Marathon reference in the game.

The game has what are called "Deadly Brains". The concept of these things is explained in a research facility level through... you guessed it... several terminals. (That's not the reference, just Bungie reusing good ideas.) "Deadly Brains" are human brains illegally stolen from hospitals by amoral doctors and staff. They are sold into the black market. The buyers augment the brains with computer circuits and integrate them into weapons systems. The brains are unstable, but powerful because they combine human inginuity and raw processing power.

This research facility has a deadly brain in the basement that was being worked on. The Syndicate (the bad guys) have broken in to steal some tech, and are also creating havok and killing scientists to cover their trail. (This is a LONG explanation for such a simple reference, but I thought a touch of Oni story here wouldn't be a bad thing.)

Well, at any rate, they turned it on, and it's going nuts. You have to shut it off before it breaks into the net and wreaks havok. The end sequence is actually kinda cool, but dissapoitingly simple.

I think it's the last scientist you talk to, but somebody says "It's gone rampant!" Tada! Did I beat around the bush long enough getting to it?

PS. One of the parts that I personally thought was pretty cool was when you're informed by your partner that the brain has a nuclear self distruct and is threatening to use it if it's demands aren't met.

What it demands... cracks me up. I shouldn't tell ya though. It's cooler to hear her say it.

I wonder what other references are in the game, I guess I should beat it, huh?

Well, it is possible that your character (Konoko) is a cyborg. I don't know for sure yet, though. She may be completely synthetic. So far the terminals have hinted at her being synthetic, but probably biomechanical, or something. There's a description of how SLDs (Simulated Life Dolls) are manufactured. It's suggested that it's illegal to make SLD's that are adults, because it's dangerous, but you're partner is an ALD and you share a special link with her. Your bosses are also monitoring your physical status throughout the first few missions and during the cutscenes one of them seems nervous about you undergoing too much stress. So, maybe it's not that similar afterall... or is it?!

BAH, I'll have to play the rest of it and find out! ;p

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

frogblast *OT*Mannon 4/12/02 2:59 a.m.
     Re: frogblast *OT*D-M.A. 4/12/02 5:01 a.m.
           Re: frogblast *OT*Mannon 4/13/02 6:00 a.m.
                 Re: frogblast *OT*Tru7h 4/13/02 6:40 a.m.
                       Re: frogblast *OT*Mannon 4/13/02 6:57 a.m.
                             Okay here comes... just a sec... *NT/NM* *NM*Mannon 4/13/02 7:37 a.m.
                                   *Oni Level end spoiler* ;pMannon 4/13/02 7:56 a.m.
                                         There you have it...Mannon 4/13/02 8:04 a.m.
                                               Pics...Mannon 4/13/02 8:55 a.m.
                                                     And one to grow on...Mannon 4/13/02 9:23 a.m.
                                         Re: *Oni Level end spoiler* ;pTru7h 4/13/02 10:31 a.m.
                                               YupMannon 4/13/02 5:31 p.m.
                                                     Re: YupTru7h 4/13/02 6:33 p.m.
                                                           Re: YupMannon 4/13/02 6:47 p.m.
                                                                 Re: YupTru7h 4/13/02 7:38 p.m.
                                                                       Re: YupMannon 4/14/02 12:32 a.m.
                                                                             Re: YupTru7h 4/14/02 7:09 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: YupMannon 4/14/02 9:56 p.m.
                                                                             *Oni Level end spoiler* The deleted scene!!! lolMannon 4/14/02 11:31 p.m.
                                                                                   There is no four...Mannon 4/15/02 1:26 a.m.
                 Re: frogblast *OT*Granny Smith 4/15/02 7:45 a.m.
                       im still stuck on the dang rooftop level *NM*Tru7h 4/15/02 2:57 p.m.
                             Huh? Which part... *How* can you get stuck? *NM*granny smith 4/17/02 6:54 a.m.
     Re: frogblast *OT*Boomer 4/12/02 10:05 a.m.
           Re: frogblast *OT*Vid Boi 4/12/02 12:44 p.m.
                 Re: frogblast *OT*Mannon 4/13/02 5:16 a.m.
     Re: frogblastM-Class 4/12/02 1:06 p.m.
           Re: frogblastMannon 4/13/02 5:14 a.m.
                 Re: frogblastMazilurik 4/13/02 7:06 a.m.
                       thx, butMannon 4/13/02 9:29 a.m.
                             Re: thx, butMazilurik 4/13/02 11:33 a.m.
                                   Re: thx, butMannon 4/13/02 3:20 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.