/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon engine put to good use
Posted By: AresDate: 4/5/02 2:58 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon engine put to good use (M-Class)

: Will we ever get to download this map?

It's not particularly impressive as a map... I didn't even put in any platforms, switches, or liquids.

It can be explained in a few sentences:

There;s a courtyard that surrounds the building.

There are three doors on the front of the building. The middle is the widest, and it leads into the lobby. The ones on the flanks lead to the residence halls, which occupy the same 3-D space as the lobby.

In the lobby are two free-standing columns in opposite corners. They're rectangularly shaped, four times as long as they are wide, with the wide side facing the wall. If you go around the back of either column, you come to an arch leading into aforementioned residence halls. You can't see this arch from most of the room, but there's a 1 WU wide space around the back to go in and out.

The residence halls consist of a few parallel hallways with 1/8 WU of space between them. The arches in the lobby lead to doors at the ends of the two outside hallways.

I only modeled three rooms, so the class could get the idea, but each hall could have very tightly spaced doors going up and down each side, each of which leads to a spacious dorm room. You can cram over 120 doors/rooms in theory into a space the size of the lobby.

So you can get to either the lobby or the residence halls from the outside, and there are additionally two doors connecting the two from the inside, and they overlap. And all the rooms overlap with multiple other rooms and with the halls and the lobby.... Certain spaces would actually be used over twenty times if I were to model all the rooms instead of just three.

I guarantee you're not missing anything. It's gotta be under 100 polys total. I was going for maximum space efficiency... if anyone has any improvements to my design, they're welcome to suggest them.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon engine put to good useAres 4/3/02 1:47 p.m.
     Re: Marathon engine put to good useVid Boi 4/3/02 2:06 p.m.
     Re: Marathon engine put to good useM-Class 4/3/02 3:13 p.m.
           Re: Marathon engine put to good useEon 4/4/02 2:12 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon engine put to good useAres 4/5/02 1:30 a.m.
     Re: Marathon engine put to good use[zudo] 4/3/02 4:02 p.m.
           Re: Marathon engine put to good usePhil 4/3/02 5:22 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon engine put to good useDan Aris 4/3/02 7:59 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon engine put to good usePhil 4/4/02 9:46 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon engine put to good use[zudo] 4/4/02 9:51 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon engine put to good useTasnu Arakun 4/4/02 1:05 p.m.
     Re: Marathon engine put to good useTynskel 4/4/02 5:58 p.m.
           Re: Marathon engine put to good useTru7h 4/4/02 8:00 p.m.
                 Telefrag! *NM*Ghôlsbane 4/5/02 5:58 a.m.
           Re: Marathon engine put to good useJohannes Gunnar 4/5/02 9:04 a.m.
           Re: Marathon engine put to good useCharlesS 4/9/02 1:45 a.m.
     Re: Marathon engine put to good useM-Class 4/5/02 12:18 p.m.
           Re: Marathon engine put to good useAres 4/5/02 2:58 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon engine put to good useJohannes Gunnar 4/5/02 4:06 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon engine put to good useTru7h 4/5/02 5:14 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon engine put to good useAres 4/6/02 7:13 a.m.
                                   Re: Marathon engine put to good useTru7h 4/6/02 8:20 a.m.
                                         MY HEAD HURTZ! *NM*Johannes Gunnar 4/6/02 4:05 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon engine put to good useDjof 4/6/02 5:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Marathon engine put to good useTru7h 4/6/02 5:53 p.m.
                 Re: Marathon engine put to good useM-Class 4/6/02 4:46 p.m.
                       Re: Marathon engine put to good useAres 4/6/02 8:46 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon engine put to good useM-Class 4/9/02 1:50 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.