/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RE Evihcra question:
Posted By: GrasshopperDate: 3/30/02 3:45 p.m.

In Response To: Re: RE Evihcra question: (Mark Levin)

: I believe FM said that he had already tried this and gotten basically zero
: response.

I looked through the News section of fileball -- nothing about fundraising, nothing about "we need money to survive," nothing about "we're going down if we don't start going into a private or semi-private system." Nothing. A cursory search of the forums also yielded nothing. I'm not sure where else to look for such an announcement, but basically, unless it was thrown right in the face of a casual fileball user (such as myself), then the announcement wasn't made.

: Incidentally, while I agree that it was bad for FM not to give advance
: warning of this, I'm going to have to side with him on the
: cutting-off-access issue. The users are saying, effectively, "If you
: won't give me free hosting, I'm taking my toys and going home",

It's one thing to say: "hey guys, we need money to survive here, so if you want to upload some new stuff, you'll need to become a paying member." I have zero problem with that, and I think that only the most immature of mapmakers would disagree with that.

Instead, not only did fileball say: "you need to pay to access the stuff you've ALREADY given us" (which on principle alone is essentially hijacking other people's work) but it was said with ZERO advance notice. How difficult could a mass emailing have been? A general announcement on all the fileball forums?

And then, on the mill, FM publicly calling "immature" mapmakers who decided to take down their stuff? How mature is that?

A file archive depends on the community for whom it provides files, and likewise the community depends on it. Unless there's mutual respect shown both ways, all will suffer, which is what's happening now. I personally have no problem with fileball's requirements to survive, and would gladly have supported it. But I have some disagreements with the way this change was implemented, PRwise.

which
: has far less weight than FM trying to get some money to keep the site
: alive at all. FM was just being consistent by sealing off the site and
: charging for all access.

Again -- I have no problem with "sealing" the site. It would probably a nightmare to figure out who contributed what, how, and when. But even a week's advance notice, imho, would made this a lot easier, and would have been a lot more fair to those who already had content there.

("was" because with all the changes I'm
: not sure what his policy is at this moment).

: I actually have some content up there (Marathon stuff), and I don't care. As
: long as he's not explicitly charging for my work itself (he's not), or
: claiming any sort of ownership on it.

-gh

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What's ... going ... on ... ?Jester 3/29/02 7:21 p.m.
     Re: What's ... going ... on ... ?Tycho 3/29/02 7:33 p.m.
           Thank you ...Jester 3/29/02 7:48 p.m.
                 Re: Thank you ...Johannes Gunnar 3/30/02 3:27 a.m.
                       RE Evihcra question:Ernie 3/30/02 8:05 a.m.
                             Re: RE Evihcra question:Grasshopper 3/30/02 10:30 a.m.
                                   Re: RE Evihcra question:Boomer 3/30/02 10:55 a.m.
                                         Re: RE Evihcra question:Rincewind MoG 3/30/02 11:23 a.m.
                                               in nomani patrus, i filia, i spiritus sancti, amenErnie 3/30/02 3:35 p.m.
                                   Re: RE Evihcra question:Mark Levin 3/30/02 12:01 p.m.
                                         Re: RE Evihcra question:Grasshopper 3/30/02 3:45 p.m.
                                               Re: RE Evihcra question:Mark Levin 3/30/02 6:15 p.m.
                                                     Re: RE Evihcra question:Grasshopper 3/30/02 7:15 p.m.
                                               Re: RE Evihcra question:Claude Errera 4/2/02 6:07 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.