/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RE Evihcra question:
Posted By: GrasshopperDate: 3/30/02 10:30 a.m.

In Response To: RE Evihcra question: (Ernie)

One thing that I lament as far as fileball's recent events go is the timing of it all. When a free online service goes to "not free" status, there's usually a "courtesy buffer zone" that's given to its customers. I.e., "starting on April 15, xxxxxx.com will now have to charge for its service because of x, y, and z"

Instead, Fb's PR to that effect went something like "Fb is no longer free, here's how to pay, here's what will happen if you don't pay." There was a very cursory and peripheral explanation (about a sentence) about the reason for this (MG's lack of promised funding), and suddenly, everyone had to pay. You had to pay to upload your creations, you had to pay to edit them, you had to pay to read the forums.

Rather than approaching this from a fundraising perspective (if we don't start getting donations, the site WILL shut down), we were faced with a fait accompli, a done deal.

I think that the original announcement ticked off some mapmakers. Hey, fileball is invaluable for both mapmakers and users alike -- if it hadn't been for them, I would not have found a bunch of cool Marathon, Resurrection, and TFL plugs/mods, and there are many like me. Nevertheless, in spite of my ridiculously meager contributions (two extended reviews), I did get the feeling my intellectual property _was_ being hijacked when faced with the prospect of not beeing able to even READ my own work without paying a fee.

That announcement was then changed, but again with little or no explanation, to allow mapmakers to edit their own work. Some mapmakers decided to take their work down, when still faced with no explanation, and with a sour taste after the original announcement. The latest I've read on the topic was posted yesterday:

3/29/2002

Booya (2pm) - Frigidman™

Better download files, because some of the more immature

file posters are deleting their files for no good reasons other

than to be lame! Good riddence to them!

It's all very unfortunate.

-gh

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

What's ... going ... on ... ?Jester 3/29/02 7:21 p.m.
     Re: What's ... going ... on ... ?Tycho 3/29/02 7:33 p.m.
           Thank you ...Jester 3/29/02 7:48 p.m.
                 Re: Thank you ...Johannes Gunnar 3/30/02 3:27 a.m.
                       RE Evihcra question:Ernie 3/30/02 8:05 a.m.
                             Re: RE Evihcra question:Grasshopper 3/30/02 10:30 a.m.
                                   Re: RE Evihcra question:Boomer 3/30/02 10:55 a.m.
                                         Re: RE Evihcra question:Rincewind MoG 3/30/02 11:23 a.m.
                                               in nomani patrus, i filia, i spiritus sancti, amenErnie 3/30/02 3:35 p.m.
                                   Re: RE Evihcra question:Mark Levin 3/30/02 12:01 p.m.
                                         Re: RE Evihcra question:Grasshopper 3/30/02 3:45 p.m.
                                               Re: RE Evihcra question:Mark Levin 3/30/02 6:15 p.m.
                                                     Re: RE Evihcra question:Grasshopper 3/30/02 7:15 p.m.
                                               Re: RE Evihcra question:Claude Errera 4/2/02 6:07 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.