/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Aleph One Issue
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 10/15/03 6:18 a.m.

In Response To: Aleph One Issue (oogaBooga)

: For a long time, Aleph one simple would not work. Period. It would come up
: with a run-time error (even with the latest build) and not start. I
: trashed my prefs, and to my surprise, aleph one started up!

Trashing the prefs is always the place to start when there are problems. In fact, new builds of AO often have prefs options that are not supported by earlier versions, so if you have problems with a new build and try to revert to the last, you'll get error messages. Bottom line - when all else fails, trash the prefs.

: THEN, ALL OF A SUDDEN—! Crazyland. It's
: like someone took the color table and puked on it. The effect is similar
: to when you have forge open and switch to a different resolution or color
: depth.

You mean you don't like the ranbow color effect? ;^)

OK, this is easy to fix. The default of AO seems to be to use 256 colors, but with some versions of AO, even Thousands of colors really screws up the color table. Try switching to millions of colors in the graphics prefs and you should be OK, if your graphics card supports rendering in millions of colors without becoming too slow. If performance does become an issue, try, in this order, disabling OpenGL, reducing the resolution and selecting low resolution. If OpenGL is not the issue, you can tweak the OpenGL prefs in many, many ways to improve performance, including reducing the resolution of the background images and turning off special features. Please note that some combinations do really wierd things with the HUD, so be warned.

One thing that is probably already obvious. Most of the development work for AO has gone into the OS X version lately. It's a carbon application, but I'm not sure that full compatibility with OS 9 is being maintained. For better or worse, I suspect that the OS 9 version will be supported less and less in the future. If you can afford to upgrade to OS X, you really should. In addition to gaining the multiplayer via TCP/IP with AO, you can also multitask - receiving e-mail in the background while playing AO without any significant performance hit in the process, among other things. And my computer often goes weeks without needing a restart, and then usually because of a system upgrade. If your hardware supports it, upgrade to OS X. If it doesn't, start saving your nickles and dimes for at least an eMac.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Aleph One IssueoogaBooga 10/14/03 1:54 p.m.
     Re: Aleph One IssueSpeaker-To-Animals 10/14/03 2:07 p.m.
           Re: Aleph One Issuethermoplyae 10/14/03 4:28 p.m.
     Re: Aleph One IssueSteve Levinson 10/15/03 6:18 a.m.
           Re: Aleph One Issuethermoplyae 10/15/03 2:56 p.m.
           Re: Aleph One IssueSpeaker-To-Animals 10/15/03 3:22 p.m.
                 Re: Aleph One Issuethermoplyae 10/15/03 5:08 p.m.
                       Re: Aleph One IssueSpeaker-To-Animals 10/15/03 6:59 p.m.
                 Re: Aleph One IssueSteve Levinson 10/16/03 11:53 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.