/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: AO Networking (yes, again)
Posted By: Woody Zenfell, IIIDate: 7/17/03 4:56 p.m.

In Response To: AO Networking (yes, again) (Yossarian)

: Okay, I admit that I haven't been watching the Aleph One project very closely
: but I do have a question: Is the project totally OSX only now? That is to
: say, is there any hope of AO internet games on my System 8.6 machine?

Hmm. I think we're getting close to another Mac OS 9 build, anyway - I can't guarantee that it'll work in Mac OS 8.6 though. Certainly worth a shot in any event. :)

The Macintosh-specific branch of Aleph One is being moved to Carbon, which cuts out people with like System 7 and so forth, but I think other A1 changes did that earlier anyway. IIRC 8.6 can run Carbon applications (?) so it may not be out of the question. (OTOH if Carbon requires Mac OS 9, well... sorry... but we'll be here, stronger than ever, when you get your next machine - pretty much no matter what OS it happens to run. :) )

(This info is sort of second-hand since I don't work on the Mac OS 9 Aleph One stuff myself.)

: Otherwise I''ll have to use the Windows XP laptop from work to play it but I
: don't have my ISP's software on it...

This is probably going to be the better route. Certainly at the moment it's the only of the two options you listed that will work, and depending on the compatibility of the next Mac OS 9 build.... shrug.

Besides, a Windows XP laptop probably has more horsepower for playing than a Mac OS 8.6 Mac anyway? (shrug)

Sorry I don't come bearing better news. Like I said, I don't work on the Mac OS 9 part myself, so I'm not very familiar with all the relevant issues and compatibility problems etc.

Woody Zenfell, III
Marathon Aleph One developer

Marathon Aleph One

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

AO Networking (yes, again)Yossarian 7/17/03 10:50 a.m.
     Re: AO Networking (yes, again)Woody Zenfell, III 7/17/03 4:56 p.m.
           Re: AO Networking (yes, again)Yossarian 7/17/03 7:22 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.