/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]
Posted By: ToddDate: 3/7/03 12:58 a.m.

In Response To: Re: [ Apotheosis website updated] (zudo)

: Just so you know... we intentioanlly chose subdued screenshots for the
: website. Keeping it subtle, and all that.

Just cuz I feel like talking, I think I'll engage in a bit of design philosophy 101 (or 707).

Rubicon's artwork was quite stunning - It was done to a very professional standard, the designers obviously had clear goals and briefs they wanted to achieve, and in response to the similar mood comment, here's my thoughts.

Rubicon had mood... The Salinger for instance, felt incredibly sterile and clean, the Pfhor city was suitably eccentric and alien like and the swamps were, visually, some of the best realised levels in a marathon project ever. What I think the problem was (and what Z likes to refer to as the great big wall between him and giving a shit) was the fact that the mood of the artwork didn't affect the mood of the player. It was disconnected, it was visually effective, but not affective.

Now affective is something I believe we've achieved admirably with Apotheosis. So when you're fighting onboard the UESC Ginger Bread Man, hopefully you really will feel like you're incased within millions of tons of cold steel... You'll feel like the walls of the basement to a Pfhor installation are litterally exuding menace, and the eery calm of the flooded cathedral will only put you more on edge.

Immersion has always been the strong point of the Marathon series, mostly conveyed through story and more subtle visual Ques. But with our ability to push the Marathon engine the way we can these days, I think it's more appropriate to make the visuals as subtle as a train wreck.

: I'm saying NOTHING about the nailgun and the industrial sonic-drill >D
Or the matter driver... =P

[t]

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

[ Apotheosis website updated]Todd 3/5/03 9:32 p.m.
     Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]Scifiteki 3/6/03 1:00 a.m.
           Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]Todd 3/6/03 1:33 a.m.
                 Kewl! Can't wait!- *NM*Vaxuum BOB 3/6/03 1:57 a.m.
                 Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]zudo 3/6/03 11:13 a.m.
                       but I don't want to shit myself :( *NM*D-M.A. 3/6/03 8:28 p.m.
           Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]goran 3/6/03 5:44 a.m.
                 Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]Scifiteki 3/6/03 7:11 p.m.
                       Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]goran 3/6/03 11:32 p.m.
                             Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]zudo 3/7/03 12:40 a.m.
                                   Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]Todd 3/7/03 12:58 a.m.
                                         Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]zudo 3/7/03 2:23 a.m.
                                               Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]goran 3/7/03 7:21 a.m.
                                                     Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]zudo 3/7/03 7:30 a.m.
                                                           Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]Vaxuum BOB 3/8/03 5:52 a.m.
                                                                 wrong on all 3 counts ;) *NM*zudo 3/9/03 10:36 a.m.
                             Mmmm... Clouds.... :D *NM*Scifiteki 3/7/03 12:45 a.m.
                             Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]DonPistola 3/7/03 6:12 p.m.
                                   Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]Elliott 3/7/03 8:03 p.m.
                                   Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]goran 3/7/03 10:10 p.m.
     Re: [ Apotheosis website updated]goran 3/6/03 5:55 a.m.
     I love those screens!!! :-) *NM*Johannes Gunnar 3/6/03 6:41 a.m.
     Why won't it load in Safari?Steve Levinson 3/7/03 9:15 a.m.
           Re: Why won't it load in Safari?Todd 3/7/03 12:36 p.m.
                 Re: Why won't it load in Safari?Mazilurik 3/7/03 1:19 p.m.
                       Re: Why won't it load in Safari?darakat 3/8/03 1:38 p.m.
                             Re: Why won't it load in Safari?Todd 3/8/03 2:13 p.m.
                             Re: Why won't it load in Safari?goran 3/9/03 9:42 p.m.
                                   Re: Why won't it load in Safari?darakat 3/11/03 1:11 a.m.
                                         Re: Why won't it load in Safari?goran 3/11/03 1:50 a.m.
                                               Server issues, and shapes patchesClaude Errera 3/13/03 12:49 a.m.
                                                     Re: Server issues, and shapes patchesgoran 3/14/03 2:18 a.m.
                                         Re: OS X InstallersSteve Levinson 3/11/03 4:38 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.