Trojan A1 with level music restored?
Posted By: TophetDate: 3/4/02 5:36 a.m.

Dear Hamish:

From the Trojan M2 for Windows port Readme:

> We sadly had to drop the specially composed music that played in
> each level as the M2 engine won't play MIDI. We are hoping to
> add code to the Aleph-1 project to return MIDI playback to
> Marathon in the future.

Aleph One for Mac/Windows now supports MP3 and AIFF music playback. I am also guessing that it can support MIDI music playback as well. If not, it shouldn't be too difficult for the developers to add such support. Anyway, will you or Mike Trinder be releasing an Aleph One port (Macintosh or Linux/Windows) that reincorporates the MIDI music by Tom Worth? If you release a Mac version of Trojan A1, I am able to convert the files to Windows format and repackage them as an SDL port. If you would like to see this happen, how much work will be involved in porting Trojan M2 to Trojan A1?

As Mike Trinder wrote:

> HAS was able to make an M2 compatible shapes file from the M1
> artwork, and also succeeded in copying a lot of the sounds
> across, but not, unfortunately, the MIDI based music that
> was specially composed for each level. This is a sad loss.

Conversion will be much easier if you saved your Mac OS versions of the Trojan M2's "Map", "Shapes", "Sounds", "Physics", and 'Image" files (the ones prior to conversion to Windows where the data and resource forks are still seperate). You seem like the person who did the initial M1 to M2 conversion (while Mike Trinder worked on ironing out Windows play). Please tell me you have a CD-ROM archive of all of your old work on the Mac. It is the only hope of restoring Tom Worth's music. M1A1 now plays background MP3s. Trojan should be able to play some kind of music too, now that Aleph One supports it.

Sincerely,

Tophet

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.