/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: MARATHON RIDDLE
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 2/21/02 8:41 a.m.

In Response To: MARATHON RIDDLE (Alfred Mordeir)

: Despair Rage Envy
: My mission fail
: History repeated three times
: Genius once alive, then deceased, now artificial
: Am I the only one who cares to know why?
: Who am I?

I have a few thoughts on this.

First of all, we all understand the significantce of Despair Rage Envy.

My mission fail - whose mission?
The marine (a Mark IV Cyborg) has an overriding mission in M∞ - to save the universe by preventing the release of the W'rkncacnter. He fails in all but the last attempt.
Durandal seems to have multiple missions - to destroy the Pfhor, to vanquish Tycho and, ultimately, to escape the closure of the universe. Indeed, he fails at all of these (Tycho is destroyed in only the M2 time line, and his end is nebulous in M∞).
Does Tycho have a mission - he is reengineered by the S'pht to serve the Pfhor - I think not.
How about Thoth? His role seems to be in establishing a sense of balance - this is his mission, and he never really fails.
But who is communicating with the marine in the dream levels? There are the mysterious enigmatic terminals starting with

thousands are sailing
the same self the only self

self willed the peril of a thousand fates

a line of infinite ends finite finishing
the one remains oblique and pure

arching to the single point of
consciousness

find yourself
starting back

And there is the ongoing story about the hanger, the knife etc. This isn't from Thoth - he hasn't even been activated when we start getting these messages. This entity is clearly directing the marine, helping him to make choices. This entity seems to have the overriding mission of stopping the W'rkncacnter, but it helps the marine to grow to virtually godhood in the process. Also, keep in mind that we first encounter the entity on an ancient Jjaro station.

Genius once alive, then deceased, now artificial
This clearly seems to refer to the marine if the marine is a battleroid. But there are other possibilities. Could it be one of the 3 Marathon AIs? As far as we know, none of them was once a real person, but they were created by the genious Bernard Strauss, who is now dead. There are also a couple of other possibilities. One is Yyro, who has apparently left Lh'owon, may be dead, but has left artificial entities behind to do his work - Thoth and an artificial entity on the Jjaro station that we never meet. There is also S'bhuth, who is referenced many times in the story. We only hear of his death in the final terminal of M∞, but have no idea when this occurs. He clearly is/was a genious, and cybernetic.

Am I the only one who cares to know why?
Does the marine ever seem to care? I don't think so. Do Durandal or Tycho ever seem to care? I think not. Thoth certainly doesn't seem to care one way or the other - he even tries to help the Pfhor. S'bhuth would certainly care and question, as would Yyro.

So, given all of this, here are my gueses as to the answer:

1st choice: Yyro
2nd choice: S'bhuth
3rd choice: The Marine

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

MARATHON RIDDLEAlfred Mordeir 2/20/02 2:36 p.m.
     Re: MARATHON RIDDLEDan Aris 2/20/02 2:54 p.m.
           Re: MARATHON RIDDLEarchon 2/20/02 4:13 p.m.
                 Re: MARATHON RIDDLEInverted Sock Puppet 2/20/02 10:31 p.m.
           Re: MARATHON RIDDLEVid Boi 2/21/02 1:51 a.m.
                 Where are the women? - An answerSteve Levinson 2/21/02 7:20 a.m.
                       "...in my pants!" ~www.bungie.org *NM*Andrew Nagy 2/21/02 9:37 a.m.
                             Re: "...in my pants!" ~www.bungie.orgNathan of B.org 2/21/02 7:56 p.m.
                                   Re: "...in my pants!" ~www.bungie.orgM-Class 2/21/02 10:29 p.m.
                                   Re: "...in my pants!" ~www.bungie.orgMark Levin 2/21/02 11:27 p.m.
                                         OMG L8R MB *NM*Andrew Nagy 2/22/02 8:03 a.m.
                                   This is how threads turn out when Hamish is away. *NM*Vid Boi 2/22/02 3:35 a.m.
                                         I'll TURN *you* out *NM*Andrew "Rampant Document" Nagy 10/9/03 3:50 p.m.
     Re: MARATHON RIDDLESteve Levinson 2/21/02 8:41 a.m.
           Re: MARATHON RIDDLEDan Aris 2/21/02 9:09 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.