/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon fan fiction?
Posted By: Max EtchemendyDate: 2/16/02 10:14 p.m.

In Response To: Marathon fan fiction? (Callie21V)

Hey all,

Well, I must say…fan fiction is a strange beast, and the strangest breed of all is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the crossover. Of course, I have no idea with what, exactly, Marathon is being crossed in this series of epistolary fanfics. It seems, based on the index page, that this site is centered around the creator's character in a roleplaying game. As a long-time RPG player, I know the mind-boggling logical and creative extremes to which hardcore fans can push their bizarre plotlines. (S'pht and furry animals? I've seen worse.)

With that having been said (and I certainly have nothing against the creator of those stories; don't take me the wrong way), I would like to ask the collective Story Forums readership: are people seriously interested in genuine non-crossover, good quality Marathon fan fiction? Interested parties could create a webpage to collect and possibly edit (depending on how serious you are about submissions) the fiction. I'd do it myself, except that I have a number of creative projects on my plate as it stands (among them GURPS Marathon, the Marathon RPG project). Besides which, I'd prefer to distance myself somewhat from fan fiction…GURPS Marathon is about as close as I'll go! Creatively speaking, fan fiction seems like a dead end to me, but I can certainly appreciate other people's work, and I've read some decent fan fiction before.

In any case, if some people with a modicum of literary talent, especially in the editing vein,* decided to get together and create some Marathon fan fiction, I'm sure the community would appreciate it. (Especially considering that a world based on a 10-year-old computer game--with no sequel prospects on the horizon, I might add--is all but doomed unless it can move out of the computer game scene and into the somewhat less time-sensitive arena of literary pursuits.)

Sincerely,

-Max

*When the legitimacy of your work is implicitly questioned from the get-go, as in the case of fan fiction, nothing kills you faster than grammar, spelling, and stylistic lapses.

GURPS Marathon: Roleplaying the Marathon Universe

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon fan fiction?Callie21V 2/15/02 9:17 p.m.
     IM Confused. Is it Mara-fan fic? Or.. something?Ernie 2/15/02 11:56 p.m.
           Re: IM Confused. Is it Mara-fan fic? Or.. somethinMark Levin 2/16/02 11:22 a.m.
                 I'm tired of reading fanfic...poena.dare #CP#g 2/16/02 12:21 p.m.
                       Re: I'm tired of reading fanfic...Hamish Sinclair 2/16/02 12:34 p.m.
                             **Shots self in faceErnie 2/16/02 2:35 p.m.
                                   Re: **Shots self in faceMark Levin 2/16/02 4:13 p.m.
                                   Re: **Shots self in faceM-Class 2/16/02 5:21 p.m.
                                   Re: **Shots self in faceChlazza 2/16/02 8:21 p.m.
                                   Re: **Shots self in faceCallie21V 2/16/02 9:25 p.m.
                                   Re: **Shots self in faceAndrew Nagy 2/17/02 7:40 p.m.
     Re: Marathon fan fiction?Max Etchemendy 2/16/02 10:14 p.m.
           Re: Marathon fan fiction?Malagigi 2/17/02 12:43 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.