/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Whoa...
Posted By: Claude ErreraDate: 1/29/02 6:12 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Whoa... (Djof)

: Maybe it's made from the really preliminar info Bungie gave off...

Not sure which you're talking about.

Battle was made before Bungie even knew about Craig - I found the Compiler pic floating around the net, learned that it was created by an AOL member, and actually JOINED AOL so that I could look for other stuff he'd done. He was thrilled to pass along his Marathon work, and happy to let me set up the Mullins gallery at the Hyperarchive (it's still there, at Marathon.org, though m.org seems to be down at the moment). So Battle was VERY early - we're talking mid-1995, I think.

The Volunteers screen was created well before M2 was finished - Craig had no real idea what characters would populate which levels. He was given sprites from the game to work with... but the maps weren't done yet.

Here's a little snippet about this stuff from Craig, written at the time:

"The idea of the screens is to extend the scope of what happens in the game- get your imagination working a little. They are not verbatim nor do I think they should be. Bungie hasnt supplied me all the information to make them conform and as far as I know, they do not expect this. I havent drawn the marine the same way twice-and the guns-I love taking liberties with them. The first compiler picture was probably as close to gospel as anything. Hmmmm, maybe thats why people like it.... Or maybe because I planned it well and finished it with no outrageous deadlines as is the case with the m2 screens. ;("

Gotta love those rush jobs... :)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Whoa...Mark Levin 1/28/02 11:04 a.m.
     Re: Whoa...Claude Errera 1/28/02 11:20 a.m.
           Re: Whoa...Djof 1/28/02 8:02 p.m.
                 Re: Whoa...Claude Errera 1/29/02 6:12 a.m.
                       Re: Whoa...Djof@School 1/29/02 7:42 a.m.
     Re: Whoa...Andrew Nagy 1/28/02 6:28 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.