/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Play Trojan on OpenGL (No Kidding!)
Posted By: REBDate: 12/14/01 7:14 p.m.

The god news is that now you can play Trojan on Aleph One.

The bad news is that I'm talking about the Trojan Legacy Sampler, not the original Trojan scenario.

This port was done mainly because the TLS installer for Infinity never did what it supposed to do on my machine.

There are a few things that changed and/or were added by various reasons. I changed the fists for the polysteel combat knifes, added a Sounds file with sounds from the original scenario, enabled fog, etc. Just grab the thing and prepare to drool again.

This port was autorized by the original authors, BTW.

http://archives2.bungie.org/mos.maps/mos.legacy.sampler.hqx

ftp://ftp3.bungie.org/archives/mos.maps/mos.legacy.sampler.hqx

Here are the links for the original Sampler for Infinity (warning: the installer won't work with System 9!)

http://archives2.bungie.org/inf.scenarios/mi.trojan.legacy.hqx

ftp://ftp3.bungie.org/archives/inf.scenarios/mi.trojan.legacy.hqx

And the Trojan homepage:

http://bighouse.bungie.org/trojan/

If you scrolled all the way down here and you don't know what's the Trojan Sampler, here's the a very short explanation:

Trojan Legacy was the second part of Trojan, the best scenario ever for any of the 3 marathon engines, IMHO. It was never finished.

A couple of years ago (well, more than a couple) Hamish Sanderson released one of the levels partially done. End of the story.

Am I going to port Trojan to Aleph One? No. If it going to be ported, Hamish Sanderson would do it himself.

With some luck, he'll release the Mac version of the Trojan M2 Windows port. That is, if it wasn't deleted ages ago...

Mike Trinder sent me what he has left of the Legacy project on his hard drive. I got the chance to play the other half of tryme. Amazing stuff, especially inside the reactor. Here are some notes from Mike himself:

React0.3 was the level to follow Into the Cathedral of Light - you had to do something to the reactor, I forget what, but also had to visit someone who was dying in the medibay (the captain?)...

The hanger housing the medibay is my favourite bit, but maybe that was because I built it.

The entry to the droid station was another bit I was working on - at one point you were to transfer your consciousness to a service droid so you could get into some service ducts which were otherwise too small.

The pusbag monster was one I was trying to get working - it stuck to the ceiling and when approached dropped goo on the floor. The goo, not the bag, is the monster - the idea was to encourage people to shoot the bag on the ceiling, which achieves nothing, whereas the solution is to use the flamethrower on the floor goo in order to get past.

The worm is a collaboration between me and hamish. The light pole was supposed to go in the first level somewhere. The spider is hamish's...

MikeT

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.