/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Why the Covenant want to kill us.
Posted By: moopusDate: 11/30/01 3:56 a.m.

This is wild-assed speculation, of course, but it occurred to me the other day why this might be. I've not finished Halo yet, but I'm close so if I've missed something, apologies in advance.

Okay, known items (Oh yeah, there's SPOILERS below, be warned):
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
1) The Covenant are religiously motivated to wipe out humanity. Exactly where this motivation springs from is not clear beyond that it seems to be based upon religious conviction.

2) The Covenant are convinced that Halo is a weapon of massive destructive ablilities and are determined to use it against us. They also attach a religious significance to the ringworld.

3) Halo, as we discover, is sort of a research preserve and a final solution to the problem of the Flood, the existence of which seems to be as much a surprise for the Covenant as it is for us. For an object with such a significance for the Covenant it seems more than a bit peculiar that they would not have any knowledge of the Flood.

My supposition: the Covenant do, in fact, remember the Flood but got it wrong when seen through the lens of the ages (not to mention considerable religious distortion). I think perhaps the Covenant, prior to the events that take place on Halo, mistakenly believe that Humanity IS the Flood and see it as their duty to wipe us out, using Halo to accomplish that end, if need be. Its only after their contact with the Flood on Halo that they start to get an idea of how very wrong they are.

Where this line of speculation really gets interesting is when you consider the implications for a sequel (which I understand is hinted at rather broadly at the end of the game) after the Covenant has discovered that we have a mutual threat.

It's just a thought.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Why the Covenant want to kill us.moopus 11/30/01 3:56 a.m.
     Re: Why the Covenant want to kill us.namu 11/30/01 8:49 a.m.
     Re: Why the Covenant want to kill us.elethiomel 12/1/01 1:48 a.m.
           An excellent theory... *NM*Finn/Daniel 12/1/01 8:07 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.