/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Giving proper credit
Posted By: GrasshopperDate: 11/15/01 6:16 a.m.

In Response To: Hey guys, did you think about this? (Vid Boi)

Actually, this site is exemplary (I might say almost academic ;) ) in the way that it gives people proper credit for the ideas they come up with. Just look at any section of the page, and you'll see that in every case, proper credit is given to any Marathon-based theory.

As best as I can figure it, Hamish's methodology from the start has been one that is deeply rooted in the dialectic, whose formula, you'll recall, is "thesis + antithesis = synthesis." In other words, Marathon Fan X comes up with a theory/thesis, Hamish (Who Knows All Things Marathon After Having Spent Much Time Reasearching and Interpreting) challenges any weak spots the theory might have in order to force the aforementioned Marathon Fan to solidify the thesis, after which the thesis becomes "published" on the Marathon Story Page. That is the sole reason why you'll find consistenly intelligent content in the MSP's various sections.

You might also recall that the originator of the dialectic was our old friend Socrates. Even though many of the concepts and thoughts in the works of Socrates/Plato were originated by some of Socrates's philosophy buddies/students, it would just sound a tad impractical to have a book title read something like "The Complete Dialogues, Collected by Plato, Written By Socrates Philosophy Fans."

I personally think the opening page is fine the way it reads.

What's of true interest to me is that last line in your post. What's your dirt on Hamish? ;)

-grasshoppy

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Hey guys, did you think about this?Vid Boi 11/14/01 11:09 p.m.
     Giving proper creditGrasshopper 11/15/01 6:16 a.m.
           Re: Giving proper credit[Tycho?] 11/15/01 10:16 a.m.
                 Re: Giving proper creditHamish Sinclair 11/15/01 12:48 p.m.
           Re: Giving proper creditVid Boi 11/16/01 12:21 a.m.
           Re: Giving proper credithero 11/18/01 12:33 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.