/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

A note about M:R
Posted By: GrasshopperDate: 10/10/01 12:37 p.m.

In Response To: Marathon: Resurrection b1.1 Coming Friday (Hamish Sinclair)

As many (22,000 downloads on cnet alone) of the people who downloaded the first beta release might agree, Marathon: Resurrection is, like the M1A1 conversion, a landmark project for the Marathon community. Mercifully, like the M1A1 project, the M:R team is also blessed with people who, like Raul, are just plain die-hard Marathon fanatics who are doing this RIGHT.

For those of you with machines that can handle Unreal Tournament (runs well on my iBook G3/500 + 8 meg video card), and who, like me, have been holding their breath for a working TCP/IP implementation that will allow us to play Marathon net games over the Internet, M:R may be the only option. Although still in beta status (no aliens), walking through Arrival, BGN and BP is an unforgettable, totally breathtaking experience. Anaphiel's high-res textures, built from scratch, are a wonder to behold. The mapmaking masterfully blends Marathon authenticity and just a bit of improvement here and there. If you haven not experienced M:R, then you must. :)

The bug fixes that are promised in this new release are HUGE. Having correct weapon and ammo respawn rates will allow for real online net play.

I sincerely hope the Marthon Story page readers, and that the Marathon community at large will generate not just players, but 3D artists, coders, and, gasp, people who might be willing to run Marathon:Resurrection servers. I doubt bungie.org, with their resources stretched thin as it is, could run a dedicated box, so it will be up to everyone to "pitch in." I would personally be willing to put in a bit of dough toward the purchase of a dedicated M:R server for net games.

True 3D maps, high-res graphics, cross platform compatibility (UT and thus MR works on both macs and PCs; and an OSX alpha release of UT was just made public, so UT mac support is good), and total TCP/IP support notwithstanding, M:R is one of the few projects which, like M1A1 will ensure long life and introduce a whole new generation of players to the Marathon Universe.

Just my two cents.

-gh

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon: Resurrection b1.1 Coming FridayHamish Sinclair 10/10/01 11:21 a.m.
     A note about M:RGrasshopper 10/10/01 12:37 p.m.
           You are tiny little grasshopper! n/t *NM*Tilo Probst 10/11/01 3:46 a.m.
                 ?????? *NM*Grasshopper 10/11/01 6:15 a.m.
                       From Shadow Warrior! *NM*Tilo Probst 10/12/01 5:35 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.