/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes Only
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 12/19/03 8:28 a.m.

Well, there isn't much to The End - just upload the last manuscript and receive the S'pht's thanks. But there is a reward for you if you can figure it out. Once again, there is a secret, but IMO one that's too cryptic for most people to find. I would have liked to have seen the door switch have a bit of a flicker or something to make it subtly more apparent, or to just allow the door to be opened with the action key - it still would have been unexpected.

In any case, For Your Eyes Only does indeed give the player a reward - if you consider a bunch of crudely drawn nude nymph sprites to be a reward. There are no weapons available on this level other than your fists, and none needed unless you hit one of the nymphs - they pack a mean punch and will gang up on you. Interestingly, the primary clue as to which alcove to take is missing when playing in AO - the artist's palette is simply gone - I have no idea why.

Starting tomorrow, or shortly thereafter, we'll begin discussing the sequel, Tempus Irae 2 - The Lost Levels. This is a really interesting sequel in that it's not really a sequel in the sense of M2, nor is it a rewriting of history in the sense of Moo. What it is is a disjointed collection of TI maps that didn't make it into the original scenario due to their difficulty, as well as a number of donated maps from some of the greatest mapmakers in Bungie fandom. Unfortunately, this makes for, well, a disjointed plot. The suggestion that these are (lost) levels that fit into the original series rather than being a sequel or an alternative timeline was brilliant. Some of the levels are among the best ever produced in any scenario, and some are among the most difficult. IMO the final level is among the best ever, and the final screen for TI2-TLL is outstanding - perhaps the best ever (although Rubicon comes close) - and certainly the most chilling.

One potential problem - the spoiler guide for TI2-TLL is no longer on the B.org site. I have a version that I downloaded eons ago, but if someone knows of a place where it is still on line, I'm sure it would be appreciated if you would post it here. I for one do not want to have to include a walk-through of every level as a part of the volunteers series.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes OnlySteve Levinson 12/19/03 8:28 a.m.
     Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes OnlMark Levin 12/19/03 9:06 a.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes OnlD-M.A. 12/19/03 11:01 a.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes Onlelliott 12/19/03 8:38 p.m.
                 Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes OnlMista_B 12/19/03 9:00 p.m.
     Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes OnlLittle Kago 12/19/03 11:55 a.m.
     Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes OnlKeith Palmer 12/19/03 1:33 p.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes OnlSpeaker-To-Animals 12/19/03 4:27 p.m.
                 Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - End/For Your Eyes OnlSteve Levinson 12/19/03 10:42 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.