/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Tempus Irae Volunteers: Mt. Vesuvius 1 and 2
Posted By: Mark LevinDate: 12/17/03 9:08 a.m.

The second of TI's multipart levels takes place back on Earth, in a Pfhor installation built into a volcano using Earth technology. I'm a little unclear as to why the Pfhor chose to subject themselves to Earth technology (their problems with it are detailed in a terminal), but the "mixed technology" theme is a cool idea and for the most part comes off very well. The only exceptions were a few places where I felt the "natural" textures were overrepresented and that the Pfhor would have completely obscured the bits of earth and rock poking into otherwise fully artificial areas.

The first level was more difficult than I remembered, and it took me 3 "lives" to defeat it. There are troopers and hunters all over the place, sometimes teleporting in from all sides. The puzzles are lengthly but not confusing, and the one switch that was difficult to locate (the one where you have to look up and fire a grenade through a window was "fair" despite some time spent locating it.

The second level becomes far easier once you determine what the objective is; it can be completed in a minute or so if you ignore the main ambush and make for the south end of the outer area immediately. You'll take some hits, but the opening of the next level is pretty easy.

Don't forget to hit the big secret on the first level: If you press the correct switch in each of the groups of 4 switches (in the order they are encountered, hit S-E-W-N), you get a huge amount of ammo and a secret terminal. Apparently the map's creator, Michael Neylon, is a huge P&B fan (he also ran Nardo's original web site, at pinky.wtower.com, which is still up but there's no index page and nothing relevant shows up on WTNet's main search. However, Google returns a link for "tempus irae" which shows that the page is still on the server, although some of the pages are missing the original yellow-on-black design. This search also led me to Courtney Evans' homepage, which contained some Duality screenshots I'd never seen before. Ah, virtual archaeology...)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tempus Irae Volunteers: Mt. Vesuvius 1 and 2Mark Levin 12/17/03 9:08 a.m.
     Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers: Mt. Vesuvius 1 and 2Steve Levinson 12/17/03 9:51 a.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers: Mt. Vesuvius 1 and 2Keith Palmer 12/17/03 2:40 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.