/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et Fa...
Posted By: GholsbaneDate: 11/29/03 7:51 a.m.

Sordidae, Turpes Et Faetidae - Literally means Filthy, Foul and Fetid and is presumably a reference to the state of Milan in the 15th century. However, the description given in the map making notes doesn't really match the state of the level. The map consists of six large quads and a central building which houses the manuscript and a terminal. The entrance to the secret level Beyond the Black is also found here. Several switches must be activated to reach the treatise and some are pretty tricky to find. There's a single pattern buffer in a central corridor and various canisters to enjoy.

You start in one of the courtyards amongst some raining fighters and an inconveniently spaced ammo stash. Working your way through the other courtyards, one of which contains a very sneakily concealed staircase at it's far end, you eventually come to the mansion. The guard chambers in the entrance here reminded me of the start of Naw Man He's Close from Infinity.

The Milanese are such wonderful characters. A bit of Venetian scheming from the East, mixed in with some Florentine extravagance from the South, and a dash of Germanic phlegm from beyond the Alps to the North...what a city! This Duomo they've erected...more like a palace than a church! The smell of the gutters...more like a grave than a street!

The local petty politicians seem unduly interested in my writings. They have been asking me if I have developed any new inventions for them, to help them in their mercenary battles. I wonder where this sudden interest comes from? True, I have invented siege engines and fortifications of some merit, but I have been working lately on flying machines, (/charge?) systems, chemicals...areas where I have gleaned insight from my shadowy companion, who still, indeed, follows me.

Leonardo's perception and paranoia shine in his journal and his comments back up the level name. It also appears that he is receiving a bit more help at this stage from S'bhuth who seems to be getting the ball rolling on the space race. Flight, electricity (or is it explosives) and chemisty... This meddling seems to be inconsistent with the S'Pht attitude of extra caution against altering history. Or has S'bhuth always been the catalyst of Earth's technological revolution and not just in this timeline? I may be a bit confused on this matter, feel free to liberally administer enlightenment...

Once you've collected the manuscript, sprayed more blood and hitched a ride on a descending statue, you arrive at the exit teleporter. A quick tab reveals a hidden door within which allows you to return to the mansion overlooks to find the terminal and exit to Tempus Irae's first secret level.

Beyond the Black

This level is effectively a glorified netmap with added things-that-go-bumb-in-the-dark. Anyone found any deep meaning to it's black simplicity? And is there an explanation for why we're treated to seemingly-infinite 2x cans? Can you die on this level?

PS: Sorry Steve :)

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et Fa...Gholsbane 11/29/03 7:51 a.m.
     Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et FMark Levin 11/29/03 9:37 a.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et FMark Levin 11/29/03 9:47 a.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et FGholsbane 11/29/03 10:20 a.m.
                 Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et FTodd 11/29/03 2:41 p.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et FSteve Levinson 11/29/03 2:47 p.m.
     Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et FSteve Levinson 11/29/03 2:18 p.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et FD-M.A. 11/29/03 10:31 p.m.
           Re: Tempus Irae Volunteers - Sordidae, Turpes Et FGholsbane 11/30/03 1:59 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.