/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Marathon reference in Unreal 2
Posted By: BoomerDate: 9/24/03 9:32 p.m.

Hi there! I like juice.

”This way, sir” said the police woman as she led me into the kitchen. ”We got a call from a neighbour, she said she heard a loud crash and a scream”. I was not surprised when I came into the kitchen. On the kithchen floor there was a woman, with a dishwasher on top of her. I walked slowly towards the corpse and sat down to inspect it. ”Her head is crushed” explained the police woman. ”It’s the seventh time this week. Who kills people with dishwashers anyway?”. I stood up. ”I don’t know, but I intend to find out”. There was nothing to be found at the crime scene. No clues, no fingerprints, no mysterious notes. Nothing. It was my last case, 2 days before I retired. I really wanted to solve this one. Not only to leave with glory, but because of what happened to my wife. It was 3 years ago. I came home early one night, thought I’d surprise my wife with a nice dinner and a bottle of red wine. But when I got home, the door to our apartment was open, and all the lights were out. ”Honey?” I called. No response. I took my pistol out of its holster, and went in. I heard the bedroom window open.

When I got into the room, I saw a short, dark figure wearing a hat. I didn’t get a good look at him, it was much too dark. ”Hold it!” I yelled and aimed the gun at him. He grunted, put his arms into the air and backed away from the window. It was very weird, it looked as if his arms were longer than the rest of his body. As I reached for the light switch, he made for the window and leaped out. I tried to look out the window, but I couldn’t see anything in the dark night outside. I was very confused by all of it. He couldn’t have made the jump, we lived on the 10th floor. I searched the apartment. When I came to the kitchen I discovered my wife, Mary, dead. Her head had been crushed under our dishwasher, which had been picked up and thrown at her. It didn’t make any sense, it would have required an inhuman strength. I was devastated by her death, and swore to avenge her. Similar murders had been commited in that area. The killer was never caught, and no real clues were ever found. The killing stopped for a while, but 3 years later he was back. I went to the police station, and sat down by my computer to do some research. I found some information about one of the murders 3 years ago. A hair sample had been obtained from the site. The hair was traced to a local zoo. A gorilla had escaped from it a while ago. They had searched for him, but to no avail. The police soon dropped the investigation, when the dishwasher killer struck again.

I went to the zoo to find out more, maybe they missed something? The personel didn’t seem to enjoy talking, atleast not with me. But I found one woman, an old ape tamer, who was more than happy to help. ”The killer you seek goes to the beach every Saturday night. He goes there to think. The little fellow was one of my best friends. I don’t know why, but I never came up with a name for him” she told me. ”Hold on a minute, you’re telling me the killer was one of your monkeys?!” I asked in disbelief. ”He is not a monkey! He’s an ape!” she yelled. I apologized and asked her to continue with her story. ”He was very agressive and many people hated him, but once I got to know him he was just like a little puppy”. I thanked her for her help and went on my way. ”Don’t look for it, Taylor! You might not like what you find...” she said to me when I left. Today was Saturday. I didn’t believe a word of what she said, but I had no other leads so I figured what the hell. I went down to the beach. I hid myself in an old hotdog stand and awaited nightfall.

I had almost fallen asleep, when I saw something coming out of the bushes and walk down the beach. It was indeed a gorilla. He sat down by the water and watched the waves. I went out of my hiding and started walking towards him, not knowing what I was going to do if I caught him. I didn’t care. All I cared for was catching my wife’s killer. I brought my gun up. ”Hold it right there!” I yelled. The ape turned around and looked at me. The strong wind blew the hat off his head. ”What the hell are you, and why did you kill my wife?!”. The gorilla looked at me for a while. ”I am the Webmaster” he said with a dark voice. I was very confused, I must have been imagining it. He started running down into the water. ”Stop!” I yelled and fired two rounds in his direction. I saw how he dove and the bullets hit nothing but air. He escaped into the waves, the waves... I spent my last day in the force writing a report. I didn’t include the part about the ape, it would’ve looked silly. The murders had stopped, but the killer was still out there, somewhere. I never found him, and I know he will never be found. It couldn’t have been the gorilla, it’s ridiculous. Everything must have been a huge coincidence. Or was it?

The world will never know.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.