/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Volunteers-BGN
Posted By: LocuciousDate: 7/27/01 2:18 p.m.

This level's always been pretty fun. The first half is easy enough, running through the pillar-filled corridors with sparse light sources casting eerie shadows on the floors and walls. After a short time, you reach the room with the big gun and stand at the entrance admiring your prize. All of a sudden, a group of pfhor springs from hiding places behind pillars and starts closing in. The player has two choices: to back up and try to take out the assaulting force with the fists and magnum, or bolt for the gun. Most choose the latter, and spin around filling the pfhor with lead. They're too close for the inaccuracy to matter.

Yeah, that was a fantastic moment when I first got the demo...memories...

There's the health refiller, and a light switch. Hit the switch, the lights go off, cool. Hit it again, they try to come on, but it takes a while and a few flickers. A cool, disconcerting effect.

Then there's the bathroom-tile rooms (as I always saw them...). Strangely, this was the first time I ever looked up and saw the open ceilings. VERY strange-feeling. No reward, either, except a few magnum clips. (That is, for the non-frogblasters...;)

Fight your way through some dark corridors, hit the switch to raise the stairs (fun to watch), and continue. Drop down the pit, and BLAP!, get smacked upside the jaw by a pfhor fighter waiting for you at the bottom. Mow down the fighters and continue. (Another treat for us frogblasters, neat-o nightvision!) Find your way to medium-sized hallways with strange openings in the ceiling. Okay, few phfor to deal with, easy enough. Then, when you're right in the middle of one of the segments, a compiler drops from a hole in the ceiling ahead of you and fires a bolt. You easily dodge the bolt and rush up closer for a seemingly easy kill. Halfway there, you get pegged in the square of the back by another bolt. You turn around and HOLY S'PHT! There's another one closing in much too fast for comfort. They move to the center of the hallway, blocking your escape, and close in. Panic ensues. After a lot of wasted ammo, the frightened player can continue on to an easy ending to the level.

Boy, that ambush always scares the s'pht outta me. (hnar, hnar...) They may be slow...but they're hungry.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.