/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Halo vs Marathon
Posted By: Vaxuum BOBDate: 5/19/03 1:21 a.m.

I haven't an X-box. I never played halo. I've never either seen it running, apart from the few videos hanging around on the net. It seems to be extremely action based. I haven't checked the halo story on the HBO website, or anything that could be called "spoiler"; because I have the firm belief that the game will eventually come out on the mac, and I don't want to spoil my play. But the more I think of it, the more I need an answer.

Does Halo (whatever be the version, but right now, you'll only be able to answer this by considering halo 1 for the Xbox) stand comparrison with Marathon. I mean by that, is there as much depth in the halo universe, as there is with marathon? Has the game an almost-tangible feel, as Marathon, its own ambiance? I get the feeling this is more action than reflexion, and that there is a story behind halo, but not as deep as the marathon background. I bring this about because I only recently realised how important a story is, how big the marathon story was, and how aside from the game itself, this is the true reason for which I still love playing it, and may be I am not the only one here. I reckon it is what most of us await in a marathon third party map, a good story, something that keeps you hanging in there, wanting to go to the end of it just to know. What do you think? Is Halo, in the end, just spit and polish, or is there something else to it? By the way, it seemed to me most Halo fans are fans because they like the gameplay, not the background. I like games for their backgrounds first.

I'm just asking this, not so much as a trivia question, or to trigger any kind of conflict between various kinds of fans, I just want to know, wether I will obtain the same thrill I had when playing Marathon, by playing Halo.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Halo vs MarathonVaxuum BOB 5/19/03 1:21 a.m.
     Re: Halo vs MarathonDefender 5/19/03 1:52 a.m.
           Re: Halo vs Marathonzudo 5/19/03 2:58 a.m.
           Re: Halo vs MarathonVaxuum BOB 5/19/03 3:09 a.m.
                 Re: Halo vs MarathonJacke 5/19/03 4:46 a.m.
                 Re: Halo vs MarathonDefender 5/19/03 1:38 p.m.
     Re: Halo vs Marathonpaolo mk IV 5/19/03 2:04 a.m.
           Re: Halo vs MarathonVaxuum BOB 5/19/03 3:15 a.m.
                 Re: Halo vs Marathonukimalefu 5/19/03 11:51 a.m.
                       Re: Halo vs MarathonDefender 5/19/03 1:47 p.m.
     Re: Halo vs MarathonKillJoy 5/21/03 1:13 a.m.
           Re: Halo vs MarathonVaxuum BOB 5/21/03 3:18 a.m.
     Re: Halo vs MarathonHamburgerBoy 5/22/03 2:58 p.m.
           Re: Halo vs Marathon•M 5/24/03 3:21 a.m.
           Hey, I love this guy! *NM* *NM*paolo mk IV 5/26/03 9:47 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.