/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Dark Star
Posted By: Vaxuum BOBDate: 4/17/03 2:53 a.m.

How's this...

"There is an object, in outer space, approximately in the middle of nowhere, that is absolute darkness. Average surface albedo 0.00000025 . It was discovered almost by accident, four years ago, when it became apparent that the heavenly body that had occulted a whole portion of the outer fringe of the Perseus arm of the Galaxy, following its own trajectory, must have been a rogue star. Its measured diameter was twice that of Earth's sun. We know it now, it is not exactly a star. It follows no apparent orbit, but is heading outward from the Galaxy, at an average speed of one light minute a day. We have deployed two orbiting sattelite outposts and established a base on its surface. We had soon discovered anti-grav generators weren't to be of much use: the stars gravity was 0.01 times that of Earth, our home-planet. That had also implied the very low altitude of our sattelites, thus impossibility to remotely survey the surface. An extremely light solid black rock. Conjectures were raised throughout the allied scientific community as to what this was due; some wild, others downright foolish. But that illustrated quite well mankinds position towards this: craziness. This was a surreal artefact, its existence alone defied reason. Some lunatic must have seemed more credible than others, when he said the answer to the problem must be found beneath the surface, because our new orders are to forge the inner layers of sector 6B. To be honest, I don't like it. We don't even know what is on more than a millionth of the Dark Stars surface, and we're already trying to change it? The place gives me the spooks. And I wish I could see with my own eyes out there! I'm fed up with using those creepy detecors. What about failures? Don't they ever occur?
Something's out there. I'd swear it. It's watching. It's waiting. What for?"

...for a start?

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Dark StarVaxuum BOB 4/17/03 2:53 a.m.
     Re: Dark StarJacke 4/17/03 5:51 a.m.
           Re: Dark StarVaxuum BOB 4/17/03 8:29 a.m.
                 Re: Dark Starukimalefu 4/17/03 6:08 p.m.
                       Re: Dark StarVaxuum BOB 4/17/03 11:21 p.m.
                             Re: Dark StarVaxuum BOB 4/18/03 12:52 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.