/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Idea for scenario story
Posted By: Agent ShemDate: 9/21/02 3:31 p.m.

Ok, here's the deal. I've got a really great idea for a Marathon scenario that is, to my knowledge, original and unique.

The problem is that I have absolutely no mapmaking skills, and very little Anvil skills. I can do a bit of Photoshop stuff, thought.

But my main strength is in writing. I am a journalist by trade, and I loev sci-fi and fantasy. I also have a strong background in mythology.

So I'm wondering where I should go. I looked at the Marathon: Recruits page, and I am considering that. But I also want to get the adive of the 1337, as well as to see if any of you are interested in colaborating with me on a project.

Here's the outline so far: (And if you rip off my ideas I will think you're a big loser, and if you post a scenario that has my stuff, I'll let 'em all know.) ;^D

The scenario takes place on a distant desert planet thousands of years before the events of Marathon 1. The Pfhor empire is just emerging, and the Jjaro, with their prescience, are trying to orchestrate the events that will lead to that critical point in cosmological history.

The "player" is not directly the UESC Marine, but he is an incarnation of him. (This is where the scenario takes a turn from most: it involves a pre-incarnate Marine: my guy and Bungie's guy will be "the same"...maybe). He is part of a desert tribe, not necessarily human (though perhaps they are humans from another era, caught in a time warp or something). He is part of a special-forces task force charged with stopping an invasion of Phfor fighters.

The culture the player is from is an odd mix of high-tech and primitive warfare. For example, they dress in robes and use blade weapons and bows (more later) but have computers, internet, rocket launchers ;^) and energy weapons.

The player is caught in a tripod of alliances: Jjaro, Tribe, and himself. He is not high-ranking, but he is increasingly depended upon by Jjaro and the tribe, but he is unwilling to ally himself with the Jjaro, and he finds the mentality of the tribe disturbing.

The scenario would serve as a prelude to Marathon, but also an original and different kind of scenario from the others.

Some of the weapons I was thinking about are:

A bow: This would be the "main" weapon. The user could hold the mouse-button fusion gun-style to preload. The farther back one pulls the bow, the stronger the shot.

The sword-thingy™: a curved blade on one end serves for a quick but weak primary attack. A spearhead on the other end is slow but hard. On the secondary, "reverse" recoil would give the effect of "lunging" at the target.

The Wave!: A mysterious sphere that generates a walk-ing speed wave of Stuff that kills anything. Wouldn't it be fun to see enemies fall one by one, running from a gigantic wave of compressed air? =^)

The Holy Shotguns? I wanna leave those alone! ;^D

I've got more, including a sort of sniper rifle, a new AR and more.

The missions would focus more on stealth than the usual "kill everything". One mission I thought of would be where you need to sneak in a comlplex and steal something. But you can't alert the guards and turrets or you're dead. The problem with the cloak is that you have very little shields when you use it. Inside the complex is shields and weapons.

Another is that you stake out a spot of a mountainside, and wait (with rocket launcher) for a caravan to cross. You need to blow up certain targets and run. Not Large-and-Vast™, but I think it would be fun.

Is anyone interested in colaborating? I've got tons of ideas and Writing Skillz, but no map-making skills. I would love to see this come off, because I don't think there's even any modern games that have this kind of potential, and the Infinity engine is simply awesome for good scenarios.

Get in contact with me at deagol@mac.com. Feel free to suggest anything, or even to tell me I suck.

But PLZ! don't use my ideas. I you do, ILL SEND BIG TRO 2 KIK UR AZ 2 TIMBUC2

Shem

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Idea for scenario storyAgent Shem 9/21/02 3:31 p.m.
     Let me add...Agent Shem 9/21/02 3:36 p.m.
           And I'm forgetting...Agent Shem 9/21/02 3:40 p.m.
     Re: Idea for scenario storySteve Levinson 9/22/02 9:07 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.