/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Anvil question on 'hover height'
Posted By: ErnieDate: 8/20/02 3:25 p.m.

Ok, here is my issue.
In a key map of my scenario, I've accomplished the cool effect of seeing a portion of the citadel (a reaaaally tall tower) your in from other windows. I also gave the illusion of distance by constructing tiny towers in the distance from small poly's. The effect I think looks great. Thing is...

I want to enhance the illusion effect of distance. I've got tiny Juggernauts flying around outside the citadel in the distance. Thing is, I'm having issues with Anvil (and even Hakvil's) 'hover height' and 'gravity' values.

The ground of this outside is -9.0 WU. Thats the max a marathon level can have as its lowest height value. I'm trying to get the Juggernauts to fly (hover) at *least* 8.0WU off the ground. I they show up on the radar, but i can never see them. My assumption is that there jsut not hovering and staying high enough.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to properly accomplish this?

Next question:
I've got a interesting effect using the electricical zapping graphics of the Rubicon Enforcer. I've positioned a modified version of the Major enforcer inside a generator-like hallway that the player cant see the T-shaped portions of. It looks similar to this:

-->player walks across walkway here, can look to left and see electrical archs.

| |

| |

- -

/ | | \ <--area where enforcer monsters stand, out of sight.

\__| |__/

| |

| |

I hope that diagram isn't garbled by formatting. Anyhow, I've got the enforcers to shoot across at each other. The effect is similar to seeing electricity arch across from one side to the other in [what else], a generator.

Issue being that the enforcers, due to the height difference bettween the raised areas the monster is standing on... he doesn't shoot across at his buddy. And when he does, it appears like the electricty graphic is 'clipped' because it extends over a poloygon.

Yes, its confusing, but I'd like anyones input on the issue.

Hurray for the limitations of the Marathon game engine.

One last question: Do any poloygons marked 'automatic exit' ONLY activate once at least PART of the level's mission objective has been completed?
For example, if a level is marked as 'REPAIR', does at least one repair switch have to be turned on for the Autoexit poloys to work?

Thanks,

-Ernie

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Anvil question on 'hover height'Ernie 8/20/02 3:25 p.m.
     Re: Anvil question on 'hover height'•M 8/20/02 10:46 p.m.
     automatic exit answerTilo Probst 8/21/02 1:12 a.m.
           Re: automatic exit answerC Lund 8/21/02 2:51 a.m.
     Re: Anvil question on 'hover height'Dan Efran 8/21/02 10:03 a.m.
           Response to Claude's statmentErnie 8/22/02 1:59 p.m.
                 Re: Response to Claude's statmentMark Levin 8/22/02 2:27 p.m.
                       Re: Response to Claude's statmentClaude Errera 8/23/02 9:40 a.m.
                       Re: Response to Marks statmentErnie 8/26/02 3:13 p.m.
                 "shapes juggler" ???goran 8/23/02 3:38 a.m.
                       Re: "shapes juggler" ???Claude Errera 8/23/02 9:44 a.m.
                             Re: "shapes juggler" ???:: Beer Can :: 8/23/02 12:25 p.m.
                                   Re: "shapes juggler" ???goran 8/23/02 4:16 p.m.
                                         Re: "shapes juggler" ???:: Beer Can :: 8/24/02 12:11 a.m.
                                               Re: "shapes juggler" ???goran 8/24/02 5:00 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.