/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Strauss and Muller
Posted By: William SpencerDate: 6/20/01 7:24 a.m.

One of those odd ideas with almost absolutely no substantiation popped into my head this morning, and I had to go figure out if it could be possible.

Could Volker van Muller (from the Lost Terminal Packets) be Bernhard Strauss?

Okay, I thought, so can I prove this? No, but I can find obscure hints. :)

The original Muller from PiD lied so much that we're not even sure that the guy we found who claimed to be Muller was really him. Why should I trust the claims of a Muller in another Bungie game?

Strauss had pretty strong motivations to assume another identity. ("Someone's after you personally. One word, three syllables, rhymes with, um, Burandal.") As a cybernetics expert he would have known computers - and it's hinted that he did not-so-legal things with computers back on Mars (as a member of MIDA?) - so it wouldn't be that hard for him as Science Director to have created a forged identity in the Marathon network. It'd work really well if identification was electronic, using the Bobs' implanted transponders - if the AIs only look at that to identify a person, they'd be fooled.

Muller may have memories of life before the Marathon - he mentions that the security forces have gone soft, which could be interpreted as saying that "They were good troops when we left three centuries ago, but they suck now." But this is a big inferrance from a mere turn of phrase.

Finally, why did Durandal keep Muller conscious on the Boomer during the search for Lh'owon? No one else is mentioned as being taken out of the freeze tubes during the 16-year voyage, but Muller describes being awake for years, with only the S'pht for company and no access to computer terminals. Why did Durandal keep this one guy awake?

Perhaps Durandal was temporarily fooled by the electronic ID change, but then got suspicious when using some of his audiovisual sensors...and decided to keep "Muller" around. For old time's sake.

If Muller was really Strauss, maybe his job on the Boomer was opening doors.

Or, maybe Durandal just took a liking to the guy, whoever he was, and Strauss had been killed earlier (by the Pfhor or by Durandal - doesn't matter). Muller was just unlucky.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Strauss and MullerWilliam Spencer 6/20/01 7:24 a.m.
     Re: Strauss and MullerHamish Sinclair 6/20/01 9:41 p.m.
           MullerStill Thinking 6/21/01 11:52 a.m.
                 Re: MullerHamish Sinclair 6/21/01 12:10 p.m.
     Re: Strauss and MullerExotar 6/22/01 6:06 a.m.
           Re: Strauss and MullerAben Zin 6/23/01 4:24 a.m.
                 Re: Strauss and MullerExotar 6/23/01 4:38 p.m.
     Re: Strauss and MullerAlexander S7range 6/23/01 5:49 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.