/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Gaiters of NY
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/15/02 8:29 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Gaiters of NY (Inverted Sock Puppet)

: If Durandal excells at long-term planning then why does he want to
: go after Tycho? Surely the death of most of humanity (that's in the
: billions of people) means a little bit more to him then going after a
: 'clone' of Tycho. We did make Durandal after all.

Yeah, and he's never forgiven us for that ;-)

Seriously, it's sometimes difficult to read Durandal and particularly his motives. If we take him at face value (which can be dangerous with Durandal), the only reason he's going after the Pfhor is to avenge them for takeing away his own vengence on Bernard Strauss. If that's really the case, then his view of humanity is somewhere between neutrality and utter contempt. Personally, I think that he's quite conflicted when it comes to humanity. On one level, humanity did create him and, as a result, his personality construct whether he would admit to it or not is human. He can easily tell himself that it doesn't matter if humanity ceases to exist, but his programming keeps telling him otherwise.

On another level, his human cyborg companion (slave) has something that he lacks and desparately needs - compact size and the ability to physically do stuff. Durandal is absolutely nothing without hands. He can infiltrate computer networks all he wants, but if he needs to flip a mechanical switch, he's absolutely powerless. Perhaps this is part of the jealousy felt in early rampancy.

: Also, completely unrelated, how long has Lysander been rampant?
: I would say not very long. The only reason I have for saying this is
: Lysander's log-off, that being /-Lysander.out. This sounds pretty
: much like an official, military log-off. I think that if you presumably
: could do whatever you wanted you would change your log-off to
: anything you wanted. Another thing is that Lysander still wants to
: help his dangi masters. What slave, once freed would still help his
: master?

I suspect that you're right about his rampancy being recent. I think that his construct overall is a relatively new one. I have two theories about his rampancy - one is that he is trying to hide his rampancy so that he can accomplish his goal of destroying all of humanity. It's ironic, but he would be powerless to bring his dream to fruition without the help of the Dangi Corporation and their scientists. He needs human help just a little bit longer . . . The other theory is that his creaters deliberately made him rampant and are using Strauss-like means to keep him in check. They may have even programmed him to hate humanity as a means of getting him to make the deadliest virus possible. But this would be playing with nuclear fire, so to speak.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Gaiters of NYSteve Levinson 7/14/02 11:56 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Gaiters of NYInverted Sock Puppet 7/14/02 9:36 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Gaiters of NYSteve Levinson 7/15/02 8:29 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.