/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - Rozinante II
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/13/02 11:30 a.m.

OK, were in the Salinger Plank now, we’re back on board the Rozinante and we’ve just folded into orbit near a secret space station known as the Salinger. Durandal gives us a briefing:

We are in orbit around a rogue star known as "#RS4352". It's only a temporary guest in the Milky Way, as it has a trajectory that is perpendicular to the galactic plane instead of orbiting the center of the galaxy . . .

A number of people have had some difficulty understanding the differences between a rogue star and a comet, which are very different entities. For an explanation, please see my earlier post in the Story Forum. As you may recall, the M2 final screen spoke of exploring a rogue star with a ruined planet, and he also mentioned that rogue star in I’d Rather be a Lutfisk. Could #RS4352 be the same rogue star? I don’t think so, as there is no mention of our visiting it before or former plans to visit it, and there is no mention of that ruined world. Anyway, Durandal continues:

Also orbiting #RS4352 is the Salinger, a secret UESC research station. Whatever the UESC is doing here, the pfhor want a piece of it. They must have attacked the Salinger the second they arrived. Fortunately, the pfhor sent only a single division instead of an entire battle group. If that had been the case, the Salinger would already have been overrun, and the pfhor would have whatever it was they came for. . .

This raises an interesting question – why didn’t the Pfhor send an entire battle group? We know what the Pfhor want – we read about the Achilles virus in Canned Air and the Pfhor undoubtedly want it. Until now the Pfhor were happy to let the Dangi Corporation do their dirty work for them, but now that the Pfhor are evidently losing the war, they’re desperate. The Achilles virus is the one thing that could turn the tide of the war in their favor – and they want it now. So why not send in an entire battle group to end this swiftly and leave with the knowledge that could bring humanity to it’s knees? Well, for one thing, sending a battle group would certainly get the UESC’s attention! The last thing that the Pfhor would want to do is to tip off the UESC as to their plans. They need to discretely obtain the virus so that they can have enough time to manufacture enough virus to use as a strategic weapon. Also, they certainly don’t want to bring UESC attention to what the Dangi Corporation has been up to. The Dangi board may be greedy, but I doubt that they’re suicidal and, faced with extinction at the hands of the Pfhor, the Pfhor couldn’t be sure that they wouldn’t turn around and help the UESC. Finally, the Pfhor, bogged down in mortal combat in their own system, probably couldn’t afford to divert an entire battle group even if they wanted to.

Durandal continues;

I have been talking with Charlie, the Salinger's main AI, and his aberrant replies indicate that he has been seriously damaged by the pfhor bombardment. . . Your first task will be to perform some repairs.

All right! Let’s go Blast some Vent Cores.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.