/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - The Salinger Incident
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/13/02 11:19 a.m.

All right, Rubiphiles, it’s time to get down to business with the Salinger Plank in Rubicon, now that we’ve completed the Pfhor Plank in the Volunteers Series. As you may recall, the entrance to the first chapter in the Salinger Plank, The Salinger Incident, is in the Chimera Plank level Hairy Legs. To get to the first level in this chapter, we have to successfully shut down the UESC Chimera’s reactor. Having done so, Durandal tells us (sorry about the repetition):

Things seem to be working out aboard the Chimera, and I caught sight of something starside that merits investigation. A fleet of Pfhor fighters, in the midst of battle, turned around and folded out of the system.

With these words, we follow the Pfhor fleet to the Salinger, a joint UESC/Dangi corporation space station, which the Pfhor have attacked. In the chapter screen above, we see the Salinger in profile, part of it is in schematic in keeping with the other chapter picts, and part of it is the actual Salinger. We also see what would appear to be flames coming out of the station, but it’s not clear that to me that this is an actual fire. In the vacuum of space, you tend to see explosions rather than fires, as the there is no oxygen in space to support the high-temperature oxidation reaction that we know of as fire. Fires in space would tend to be internal and, when a hull breach does occur, the flames might shoot out quickly with the escaping air, but would quickly be extinguished much as in the movie Backdraft.

Now, taking a closer look at the picture, notice the stuff at the upper right. This to me looks like an image of bacteria more than anything else. The Achilles virus is a virus, which is a very different structure than a bacteria, but I think that the Rubicon team is trying to use the bacteria in this image to be emblematic of the Achilles virus and all that it implies. And I think that the red we see is emblematic not just of the Pfhor attack on the station, but of the danger from the virus. Let’s head off to Rozinante II to get a mission briefing from Durandal.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.