/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: I like your ideas
Posted By: Agent CletusDate: 6/27/02 4:01 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I like your ideas (Shade)

: In the universe of the Ringworld novels by Larry Niven (these books were the
: inspiration for Bungie's Halo structure, I believe), humans are capable of
: attaining a higher level. Humans are actually part of a larger, mysterious
: species called the Pak. Pak normally go through three stages of life, but
: the transition to the third stage requires ingestion of particular kind of
: plant -- the Tree-of-Life. Lacking, the Tree-of-Life, humans only go
: through infant and adult stages, never evolving into the full-fledged
: super-intelligent creatures that are their potential.

: As I recall, there is an age cap on this metamorphasis. Even if a middle-aged
: human were to eat from the Tree-of-Life, they would not be able to survive
: the traumatic transition to the next stage. I think the average Pak just
: cruises around the galaxy protecting infants and adults and otherwise
: generally exhibiting smartness. Like I said, they're ever so mysterious.

: I read Ringworld and it's sequal back before Bungie was acquired (**uggh**),
: so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Fortunately, I've found a very informative
: link:

Hmm...I ought to take a look at those Ringworld books. I almost choked to a mortal death on Heinlein's book The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. I used to like Heinlein. =^(

There is a reason I mention that book though. In it, humans had progressed to the point where they invented time travel (like, you know, thousands of years into the future). Then they went back in time, messing around with important events (the battle at Thermopylae was one of them, incidentally!) THQ, or Time Headquarters, as they were called, was dedicated to finding a better "timeline" for humanity to live in. Usually, they screwed up, and left a timeline "out of the loop": by the time they did that though, the earth ended up a smoldering, radioactive heap.

That reminds me of how, if my theory is correct and the Jjaro were benevolent god-like humans hyperevolved, they screwed up big-time with W'rcanctergate, and had to send the Little Cyborg who Could to fix the problem. If that is indeed what they did. Infinity is a little confusing! =^)

Of course, in 3001, we see hyperevolution in a different way: that is, aliens (non-human) who evolved into non-corpereal beings who made dangerous Dell computers to destroy whole planets at a whim. Why they did this is beyond me. I would use that kind of technology to play the 765th computer-generated sequel to Halo. And the universe would go to hell, because gods like me would be too busy...

Clet Us

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Jjarro wacked theoryAgent Cletus 6/13/02 4:47 p.m.
     Re: Jjarro wacked theoryAgent Cletus 6/13/02 5:22 p.m.
     Re: Jjarro wacked theoryVid Boi 6/13/02 5:45 p.m.
           Re: Jjarro wacked theoryAgent Cletus 6/14/02 6:13 a.m.
                 Re: Jjarro wacked theoryAgent Cletus 6/14/02 6:14 a.m.
                       *gasp!*Vid Boi 6/14/02 7:06 a.m.
                             HEY! U! PEEPS! POZT ON THIS THRED!!! *NM*Agent Cletus 6/14/02 7:12 a.m.
           Re: Jjarro wacked theoryPedrof 6/14/02 7:21 a.m.
                 Re: Jjarro wacked theoryAgent Cletus 6/14/02 7:32 a.m.
                       Re: Jjarro wacked theoryMazilurik 6/14/02 8:24 a.m.
                             Re: Jjarro wacked theoryVid Boi 6/14/02 2:59 p.m.
                                   Re: Jjarro wacked theory[Tycho?] 6/14/02 3:59 p.m.
                                         Re: Jjarro wacked theoryVid Boi 6/14/02 4:33 p.m.
                                   Re: Jjarro wacked theoryForrest of B.org 6/15/02 2:19 a.m.
                                   Re: Jjarro wacked theoryAgent Cletus 6/15/02 7:18 a.m.
                                         Re: Jjarro wacked theoryVid Boi 6/15/02 10:08 a.m.
                                               Re: Jjarro wacked theoryAgent Cletus 6/15/02 10:36 a.m.
                                                     we already know that *NM*Tru7h 6/15/02 10:37 a.m.
                                                           Ya, but maybe somebody didn't? ;) *NM*Agent Cletus 6/16/02 7:58 a.m.
                                               Re: Jjarro wacked theoryDon Pistola 6/19/02 1:40 p.m.
                                                     Re: Jjarro wacked theoryVid Boi 6/19/02 6:41 p.m.
                             Re: Jjarro wacked theoryJared Cash 11/2/02 9:00 p.m.
                                   Re: Jjarro wacked theory:: Beer Can :: 11/3/02 9:13 a.m.
                                         Re: Jjarro wacked theoryarchon 11/3/02 2:04 p.m.
     I like your ideasNeutronBomb 6/18/02 8:27 p.m.
           Re: I like your ideasShade 6/26/02 2:28 a.m.
                 Re: I like your ideasHydroconcil87 6/27/02 1:26 p.m.
                       Re: I like your ideasAndrew Nagy 6/27/02 10:10 p.m.
                             Re: I like your ideasHydroconcil87 6/28/02 12:05 a.m.
                                   Re: I like your ideasAndrew Nagy 6/28/02 7:34 p.m.
                                         Re: I like your ideasHydroconcil87 6/29/02 10:22 a.m.
                                               Re: I like your momAndrew Nagy 6/29/02 9:21 p.m.
                                                     Re: I like your momHydroconcil87 7/3/02 11:05 p.m.
                             Re: I like your ideas *spoilers!*Vid Boi 11/3/02 4:19 a.m.
                                   Re: I like your ideas *spoilers!*Tru7h 11/3/02 6:27 a.m.
                                         A bit of help?James B. 11/3/02 8:55 a.m.
                                               Re: A bit of help?Scifiteki 11/3/02 11:54 a.m.
                                                     Re: A bit of help?Mazilurik 11/3/02 12:54 p.m.
                 Re: I like your ideasAgent Cletus 6/27/02 4:01 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.