/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: UH, Mark? and REB...
Posted By: REBDate: 6/21/02 12:22 p.m.

In Response To: UH, Mark? and REB... (Ernie)

: Curious, how has other scenerios played a movie at the end of them? The only
: ones I can think of right now (its pretty early in the morning for me) are
: the older Marathon Trojan, and there was a intro movie played in the
: Classified 19 scenerio, the movie played in Marathon:Evil...

: How is it that you can 'only play movies' using Alphe one?

: And REB, I take it the settings you recomend are refering to the movie that
: is to play in Marathon, and *not* the joke pfhor movie I mentioned?
: The last bit of information I need is how to implment the movie (similar
: excution to using a endgame chapterscreen?) in Marathon.

: Thanks all,
: -Ernie

I was referring to the movie that is to play in Marathon, indeed. The full explanation of how to use a intro movie in Infinity is quite simple: the file must be quicktime format, it's must be called Movie and it must be on the same folder as the rest of the data files. Infinity will play it automatically when starting a new game from the first level -- IOW command-option-click to start at any other level besides the first one and the movie won't play. You can even assign a chapter screen to the first level and Infinity will play the movie first, then it will display the chapter screen (I think it's good to have this option.)

This same trick works in Aleph One too. The real bonus with A1 is that you can play a different movie at the beginning of any level!

First, with ResEdit, create a TEXT resource within the Terminal Pics file - that way, when you merge, Forge will add it automatically to the map file. In the meantime you can copy and paste the TEXT resource on the unmerged level's resource fork and test it safely in Aleph One.

Within the TEXT resource, create a different resource for each level you want to start with a movie and create a master resource - the master resource ID must be lower than the other resources. Let's say you want the second level to start with a movie; it's ID is 130. The movie you want to play is inside a folder called Cutscenes. On the master resource, the MML will be (note: I'm going to use parenthesis instead of brackets)

(marathon_levels)

(level index="1">
(mml resource="130"/)
(movie file="Cutscenes/asteroid_explosion.mpg"/)
(/level)

(/marathon_levels)

The level index is 1 instead of 2 because the first level # is 0. Also note that the resource for each level can't be blank, it must contain at least the (marathon) and (/marathon) tags.

On a side note, Aleph One is capable of displaying a movie at the end of the game, but the MML docs never made it clear how to do it and now it don't even mention it. Maybe it's done with Pfhortran?

The MML docs @ source.bungie.org

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Ending game movie settingsErnie 6/19/02 7:09 p.m.
     Re: Ending game movie settingsMark Levin 6/19/02 9:38 p.m.
     Re: Ending game movie settingsREB 6/20/02 9:26 a.m.
           UH, Mark? and REB...Ernie 6/20/02 9:36 a.m.
                 Re: UH, Mark? and REB...Mark Levin 6/20/02 9:55 a.m.
                       Re: UH, Mark? and REB...Steve Levinson 6/20/02 11:15 a.m.
                             Re: UH, Mark? and REB...Mark Levin 6/20/02 12:09 p.m.
                                   Re: UH, Mark? and REB...Steve Levinson 6/20/02 12:32 p.m.
                                         Re: UH, Mark? and REB...Mark Levin 6/20/02 1:29 p.m.
                 Re: UH, Mark? and REB...REB 6/21/02 12:22 p.m.
     marathon moviesTilo Probst 6/20/02 10:27 a.m.
           Oh, ok, an intro movie it is then. :) *NM*Ernie 6/20/02 12:01 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.