/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Blasting/Blasted Frogs
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/20/02 6:28 p.m.

I know I said I'd do this over the weekend, but I couldn't wait. I'm having too much fun reliving Rubicon. We'll shoot for Sodding the Logs over the weekend.

And now it’s time for part 2 of “Helping Tycho”. Here we are on Pfhor Prime, wading around yet another level in the service of two masters. But wait – there are two different levels here – Frog Blasting and Blasted Frogs! What gives, and how does it relate to the plot? Well, the truth is detailed in the Spoiler Guide and in my Rubicon Secrets Guide, and it’s really quite boring – two different versions, one new, one old – which one to include? – why not both? We, the Marathon faithful know better than that! Everything has meaning – we seek the tru7h! So let’s look at how we get to each. There are two exits in two different sections of the Okefenokee Tourist Trail, each leading to a different level. We’re serving Durandal, who is helping Tycho. Have we fallen into an alternate universe, or something? Well, in short, yes. Rubicon contains two parallel plot lines with very different outcomes. It would appear that even within the Pfhor Plank, there are 2 alternate universes. In this case depending on where we exit Okefenokee, we land in one or the other. They are very similar, but disconcertingly different. They seem to intersect at the point that is our destination – the chip that will allow Tycho to replicate within the Pfhor network.

Durandal gives us very simple instructions:

Next item on our little shopping list is that data chip I mentioned. The one that lets Tycho make copies of himself outside the pfhor network. Go. Seek. Find. Good boy. I'll have a treat for you when you finish.

This is unusually condescending for Durandal, and it has been the subject of much speculation. Durandal may think of us as his pawn or as a pet, but he’s also been very appreciative of what we can do for him. He admires our killing ability. This is really out of character for him. Could there be a Tycho influence here? Could this be Tycho posing as Durandal? I don’t think so, but things are definitely a bit askew, as is this whole helping Tycho thing. By the way, if you return to the starting terminal after getting the chip, you’ll be greeted by:

Good work with the whole "finding the chip" bit, but I'm starting to doubt your basic cognitive skills. The exit is ABOVE you. Over THERE. UNDERSTAND?

Still pretty condescending, but a bit more in character with Durandal’s sarcastic humor. The Frog levels are among the most maze-like in Rubicon, and the difficulty in finding one’s way here is second only to I’d Rather be a Lutfisk. On top of that, you’re very much a wanted man, here:

The rogue conditioned unit is actively engaged in combat . . . Pfhor High Commander (%error) has personally ordered for the removal (dismantlement?) of said rogue conditioned unit.

From the moment you land in either level, you’ll be under fire, and projectiles often come from unexpected places, so watch out. Worse, drones and PCM’s become increasingly numerous as play progresses, and they tend to sneak up on the player, catching them by surprise. There is a big advantage to finishing the level quickly, as outlined in the Spoiler Guide, but the secret areas of the level are well worth exploration, and they are essential to finding the secret exit. For some reason, Durandal chooses to go off on one of his useless rants about his exploits:

As I'm sure you've gathered, I did quite a bit of traveling during your five decade nap. Jjaro technology, as it turns out, is not compatible with itself. . . I discovered the rotten decayed remains of long dead wetware AIs - miles of petrified organic fibers intertwined around single or multinodal processing complex. You can imagine how wastefully constrained I must feel here, dealing with old threats improperly handled in the past, reopening ancient wounds that should have been healed and forgotten long ago.

Is Durandal worrying about his own mortality, here, or does he have something else in mind? And is there some sort of connection to the UESC wetware AI, Haller? In any case, once you do manage to find the appropriate switch that changes water levels and opens the entrance to the second part of the level – the part where the chip is kept, you’ll need to do some swimming under water and dodge Jugger, trooper and drone fire to get to the chip. Beyond the chip is an area that is heavily guarded by hunters. You don’t need to go there to finish the level, but there is a very important Tycho terminal that you’ll definitely want to read:

How does it feel to be a perpetual errand-boy? . . . I think you and I both understand where this is going - you knew what my proposal would be from the beginning, didn't you? We can start over, you and I. . . Have a little trust, I'll take good care of you. Think about it. We'll talk again soon.

49276D206120626164206D616E

Well, yes, Tycho, we definitely expected this as a matter of fact. It’s so in character, after all. Just one question – what does that hexidecimal string in your message mean? Seriously, does anyone out there know what this codes for? In any case, there is also a switch near the Tycho term. It opens the “easy” way into the secret areas of the Frog levels. There are alternative ways in, however, that can save some ammo. If you’re curious, check out my Rubicon Secrets Guide. One person has asked that I not reveal the secret entrance to the upcoming secret levels. But that is not the purpose of the Volunteers’ series. This is not a walk through, but an interpretation of events in Rubicon. Anyone with just a little curiosity will have already noticed the secret areas with their tantalizing arrays of ammo just waiting to be taken. And that 2X power-up – you’ll definitely want that for Sodding the Logs. The trick is getting there, and I hope that you’ll at least try to find your way on your own before seeking help. I found it before there even were complete spoiler or secrets guides.

Once you do manage to make your way to the secret exit terminal, you’ll get two very different messages, depending on whether or not you’ve collected Tycho’s chip. No chip and you’ll see:

the time is

wrong for crimes

of men

return again

The meaning of that message from the Jjaro will become clear in the next level. Once you have the chip, you’ll be greeted by:

d3stroy and rebuild

Followed by a long string of numbers. Does anyone have any idea what the significance is of this sequence of numbers? In any case, it’s off to Breathing Nothing at All/Canned Air.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Blasting/Blasted FrogsSteve Levinson 6/20/02 6:28 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Blasting/Blasted FroSteve Levinson 6/24/02 4:29 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Blasting/Blasted FroC Lund 6/25/02 3:48 p.m.
                 Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Blasting/Blasted FroSteve Levinson 6/25/02 7:36 p.m.
                       Some spoilers :)Scott 6/25/02 8:20 p.m.
                             Re: Some spoilers :)Inverted Sock Puppet 6/26/02 12:58 a.m.
                                   Re: Some spoilers :)C Lund 6/26/02 1:36 a.m.
                                         Re: Some spoilers :)Steve Levinson 6/26/02 7:58 p.m.
                                               Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Levels PuzzleSteve Levinson 7/12/02 7:04 p.m.
                             Re: Some spoilers :)Steve Levinson 6/26/02 7:59 a.m.
                             Re: Some spoilers :)C Lund 6/26/02 3:42 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Blasting/Blasted FroSteve Levinson 6/29/02 10:18 p.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Blasting/Blasted FroInverted Sock Puppet 6/30/02 4:44 a.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - Frog Blasting/Blasted FroSean 9/19/02 9:28 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.