/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Rubicon Volunteers
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/20/02 1:00 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon Level18:Unpfhorgiven questions (MJones)

: I take it that the Volunteer series is a walkthru of Rubicon from
: start to finish???(I am new to this forum)

The original volunteers series was the brainchild of Grasshopper <rowland@us.inter.net>, who suggested on the anniversary of when the Marathon would be attacked in the future, that the community play the full Trilogy, one level/day, and discuss the story in the forum. The complete series can be accessed here: Volunteers

The real powerhouse behind the Volunteers series was Mark Levin <haveblue@mac.com>, who took the lead in interpreting the story line and finally made the events of Infinity clear to the rest of us.

After the completion of the Marathon Volunteers series, many of us clamored for more and tossed around the notion of continuing the series with some of the best 3rd party scenarios out there, but few could agree on which one to do next. Hamish pretty much put the kabash on it by noting that the 3rd party universe has many branches that just can't be reconciled with each other, and that he would not develop an area on the Story page to support them. Not that he was opposed to the idea - he just felt that this was outside of the scope of the mission of the Story Page.

As I have become a bit of a Rubicon fanatic and as no Volunteers effort could succeed without someone to keep it going, I decided to make the commitment to take on a Rubicon Volunteers effort when I could find the time. It's going to be slow going, but the time is now. This isn't just a walk-through - in fact, we try to avoid going through each level step-by-step - that is the role of the Spolier Guide. Rather, the Volunteers effort is an attempt to reconcile the events in the plot with everything that is/has been going on in the background, and to place it in the scope of the overall Marathon Universe. I tend to be a bit more detailed than the first series was, displaying a lot more terminal text. The reason I do this is that term screens are so fleeting and, as there is no other record as there is for the Marathon Trilogy, I felt it would be helpful to capture the most significan elements to enhance the discussion.

Please feel free to contribute - Rubicon is a great game!

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon Level18:Unpfhorgiven questionsMJones 6/17/02 6:44 p.m.
     Re: Marathon Level18:Unpfhorgiven questionsSteve Levinson 6/17/02 10:21 p.m.
           Re: Marathon Level18:Unpfhorgiven questionsMJones 6/20/02 11:58 a.m.
                 Re: Rubicon VolunteersSteve Levinson 6/20/02 1:00 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.