/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Rubicon Volunteers - I'd Rather be a Lutfisk
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 5/30/02 6:46 p.m.

Here's the 3rd and final post in the Rubicon Volunteers' series for today. Again, not much to this level, but I hope you like it. And note that "volunteers" is plural - I could use some help, here. Is there any interest in these posts? If not, I have other ways to use the time - like playing chapter 10 of the Yota Saga!

This is another filler level, but it’s one of the most exasperating. A lot of people, myself included, had trouble finding the way out of this one. I confess, this is the one time I had to resort to using the Spoiler Guide. In any case, I can give you one BIG hint – look up. The key once again is to make use of the air vents and, just because you’re submerged, don’t forget that they’re there, and accessible in ways that wouldn’t be possible in air.

One of the more interesting tricks on this level is that you can use the AR under water (or is it mercuric enexomer). It’s not very accurate and it's very slow, but the same thing can be said about the trooper’s weapons in this environment. One thing you’ll have trouble doing is outrunning the troopers’ grenades. You need to use a new strategy, here.

Once you find your way to the transport ship that will carry Haller’s wetware chip to the UESC Triumph, Durandal treats you to another soliloquy:

Before you know it we'll be chasing rogue stars again; we made short work of turning this little war in the UESC's favor, didn't we? If the human forces only knew that their greatest allies were such a modest pair- an ex security guard and an ex door operations AI aboard that lovable hunk of rock, the UESC Marathon.

There are 2 things interesting about this little diatribe. Firstly, Durandal confirms that we visited that rogue star mentioned at the end of Marathon 2, so it looks like there’s still room for another 3rd party scenario to take up that story . . . Secondly, our actions have turned the war in the UESC’s favor. How the hell did we do that?!! To me, this doesn’t exactly add up. Sure, we killed a bunch of Pfhor, and we did restore power to some sections of the Chimera, but how did that end up making the Pfhor toast? Is this just more of Durandal’s bravado? Probably. But Admiral Carroway’s still under the weather and the Chimera is still under siege. More on that in the next level, Harry Legs.

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Rubicon Volunteers - I'd Rather be a LutfiskSteve Levinson 5/30/02 6:46 p.m.
     Re: Rubicon Volunteers - I'd Rather be a LutfiskInverted Sock Puppet 5/31/02 4:06 a.m.
           Re: Rubicon Volunteers - I'd Rather be a LutfiskSteve Levinson 5/31/02 9:32 a.m.
     Out of curiosity, which plank next?Steve Levinson 5/31/02 9:36 a.m.
           Pfhor Plank *NM*REB 5/31/02 11:53 a.m.
           pfhor plank *NM*Yossarian 5/31/02 1:06 p.m.
     - I'd Rather be a Lutfisk *Archiwathever*Tru7h 5/31/02 3:11 p.m.
           Re: - I'd Rather be a Lutfisk *Archiwathever*Sean 9/19/02 8:24 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.