/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)
Posted By: REBDate: 5/15/02 5:38 p.m.

I've just finished Ferazel's Wand and I must say I'm not pleased. The engine is great, but the game was designed to be more difficult than fun; while this approach worked (somehow) on PiD and the first Marathon game, with FW it bombed - big time. Especially because in the end you're supposed to be puzzled by the fact that the Manditraky queen it's a Habnabit (the same race as Ferazel) but they don't gave you any explanation (in fact the end screen says: "The answers will have to wait for another day") and the game ends with this phrase: "Teraknorn is finally free of the evil Manditraki scourge... at least, for now." I've seen B-movies and read really, really stupid novels (Stephen King, anyone?) with better endings. It's not as bad as the end of Abuse - but it's close.

Oh boy, there are some references to Marathon on this game, which have been discovered already, and there are some sounds stolen from PiD, which I don't remember being spotted before. There are also some things that look like references to Myth: TFL and Halo, but it's more like circumstantial evidence, so I'm leaving that out.

Marathon

The first thing spotted was the end screen of the FW demo back in '99. All right, you can say it's a homage. Whatever.

Then somebody discovered this other image. This is the chapter screen of a level called The Labyrinth.

And later this other chapter screen was discovered.

Finally, there are The Seven Lands of Teraknorn.

Pathways Into Darkness

Not surprisingly, the Banshee sound is used for some monsters in FW (see related post. The sound of the headless firing was also stolen. I mean, "borrowed." Here's a screenshot.

Here are the sounds:

electricitySound
monster1Sound
monster2Sound

The last sound is a modified version of one of the two previous sounds:

monster3Sound

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/15/02 5:38 p.m.
     Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Claude Errera 5/16/02 6:55 a.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Hamish Sinclair 5/16/02 7:21 a.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Claude Errera 5/16/02 7:30 a.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Still Thinking 5/16/02 2:46 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)M-Class 5/16/02 7:30 p.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/16/02 10:56 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)El Bastard™ 5/17/02 12:31 p.m.
                       Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 4:26 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Dan Johnson 5/18/02 3:52 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Yossarian 5/17/02 1:18 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Tru7h 5/17/02 3:39 p.m.
                       Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 4:59 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)M-Class 5/17/02 6:26 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Tru7h 5/17/02 6:51 p.m.
                                   Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 9:20 p.m.
                                         Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Tru7h 5/18/02 5:02 a.m.
                                               Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/18/02 8:49 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Claude Errera 5/17/02 7:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 9:28 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Claude Errera 5/17/02 7:11 p.m.
     Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Tempus Fugee 5/17/02 8:05 a.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/17/02 3:11 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Inky 5/18/02 6:07 a.m.
                       Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/18/02 9:12 p.m.
     Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)John Denton 5/23/02 4:22 p.m.
           Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)Wagner 5/28/02 9:45 p.m.
                 Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)John Denton 5/29/02 12:44 p.m.
                       Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)DataSpot 5/30/02 7:18 p.m.
                             Re: Ferazel and The Bungie Influence (Spoiler)REB 5/30/02 7:42 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.