/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

pondera et redemptio
Posted By: YossarianDate: 5/10/02 11:58 p.m.

I had originally written up this huge post about the major themes in the Marathon series and how they contrasted with the classic stories found scattered within Marathon (Song of Roland, Hamlet, Beowulf, etc.) but just before I finished it I accidently hit the refresh button and it went....away.

But it was too drawn out and boring anyways so here's the diet version:

What is the major underlying theme in the Marathon Trilogy?
Bravery? Love? Brotherhood? Chivalry? Sacrifice? Love of Country? Loyalty?

Though I'm sure a case could be made for all of these, I suspect it would be very difficult to isolate any one as the main theme.

One of the major themes I suppose, would have to be the obsession with balace. Consider Thoth and his own issues with it (I finally realized that thoth's sign-in pic is a rectangular Yin-Yang...D'oh!). Consider "two forces in balance, ancient endless balance, then nothing"

The idea of balance as a main theme is nothing new in discussion in this community, but what about:

redemption?

I wasn't so sure about it myself but when I got to thinking about all of the characters it made more and more sense. Consider:

The Marine: has strange memories and possibly schitzophrenic thoughts. Requires redemption through the slaying of humanity's enemy in order to reinforce his ego.

Durandal: Had his "humilition on Mars" and seeks to redeem himself and almost be reborn into the super-AI that liberates the S'pht and helps to defeat the pfhor.

Tycho: attempts to redeem himself from his quarrels with Durandal and his dissection at the hands of the Pfhor by defeating Durandal. Well, we all know what happened to him.

Strauss: Was his experiments with AI an attempt to redeem himself from events in his shadowy past?

the S'pht'Kr: Obtained redemption by helping Durandal free the brothers they had centuries before tried to defeat.

The BOB's: They take up arms in M2 and Moo. Are they looking for redemption because they were unable to defend themselves, theur crewmen and families on th Marathon and Tau Ceti?

What about Blake? What about Arthur Frane? What about Gherrit White? If you dig you might find.

Consider this also: In certain religions one can gain redemption by being washed in blood (usually of that of a lamb). Now, consider also that many of the events in which the characters gain redemption happen in M2..The BLOOD TIDES of Lh'owon. Is it possible that there was a double meaning placed in the title?

Flame is also another means of redemption and/or cleansing. Remember that before the final level of M1 we are "cleansed" in the lava of Try Again...pre-battle cleansing and purification has its incarnation in probably most human civilizations/tribes. Consider the lava also in All Roads Lead to Sol...see what I'm getting at? The marine must be blessed/cleansed/redeemed at the end of M2 before facing his own demons and all the other baddies in Marathon Infinity. He must be purified before facing the evil W-monster ('cause I ain't spelling it).
Following is a list of level names having to do with fire/flame:
Never BURN Money
Smells Like NAPALM...
G4 SUNbathing
FIRE!FIRE!FIRE!FIRE!FIRE!
NUKE and Pave.

One must consider also that water is also used in much the same way (baptisms. blessing and all that holy stuff).

1. Please forgive all typos and misspells, its been a long day.
2. This is just opinion. If its been brought before I'm sorry.

3., Yossarian

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

pondera et redemptioYossarian 5/10/02 11:58 p.m.
     Good observations. : ) *NM* *NM*Ernie 5/11/02 7:30 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.