/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Episode IV: A New Paradigm
Posted By: Rick BlaineDate: 5/9/02 3:38 p.m.

There are an infinite number of possible titles for this post. If you don't like the one I chose, you might prefer to call it : "He's talking out of his @ss again!" .

" If I have seen further than others, it is because I have stood upon the shoulders of giants". - Sir Isaac Newton

Many people are having problems with the idea of tying PiD, Marathon, and Halo together into a single structure composed of multiple universes. Some offer the existence of contradictions between the various timelines as "proof" that the games can never be reconciled. Some seem to feel that allowing multiple universes would result in all discussion being reduced to semantic mudfights over just what the definition of 'is' is.

These people are wrong. And they are also more right that they might know. PiD, Marathon and Halo all stand alone, each in a seperate universe. Everything that happened, happened. And all the seperate universes are tied into a knot by more than the fact that all carry the Bungie name. If we make a few simple assumptions, we can explain much. We can resolve all the conflicts. There is structure here. There is order. There's also a perverse type of 'pretzel logic' at work. Just the sort of things that we have come to expect from Bungie.

We have no need to invoke time travel. Actually, if anyone within the Multiverse ever does succeed in sending a single, special message backwards in time (and, of course, if the recipient(s) act upon it accordingly), all the component universes will vanish, colapsing the multiverse, and leaving us with nothing but an old dream.

Escape will make us God.

Multiple universes do exist within the Bungie pantheon. I am _not_ making this up. Everyone seems to accept that this is the only way to understand the events described in Marathon Infinity. I claim that we we have a natural, logical overlap between Marathon Infinity and Marathon 2. I further claim that we can extend this structure to include both PiD and Halo. But wait, there's worse to come.

For all these years, we have been living the parable of the "Blind Men Examining an Elephant". The _real_ kicker is that the true story of PiD is that it's not simply a horror tale describing a nameless marine attempting to put a dreaming god back to sleep. The true story of Marathon is that it's not simply a 'road' movie starring the 10th Mk. IV Cyborg and a rampant AI. The true story of Halo is that it's not simply an action flick starring the Master Chief and Cortana slaughtering the Covenant horde. All these stories are individually true, exacly as Bungie wrote them. PiD, Marathon and Halo all stand alone. Everything that happened, happened. But that's not all there is to it.

The metastory of the Bungie Multiverse is the tale of the two beings described in the Unformatted KYT Term interacting with events inside their Metaverse and their attempts to escape from the closure of same .

What the heck, let's go even further out on this limb. The nature of the KYT Beings is that they are the shadow projections into the Multiverse of a Jjaro & a W'rkncacnter.

And now for the big leap... Jjaro & W'rkncacnter can be considered seperate only in the way that 'heads' and 'tails' are seperate. They are actually two aspects of a single being. That being has a name.

That name is "God".

Proof is left as an execrsise for the reader. My cat wants her dinner....rfn!

FWIW, I am not really this tall. I am standing upon the shoulders of giants.

And that last tab of blotter can, in retrospect, be conclusively shown to have been a really, _really_ bad idea .

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/9/02 3:38 p.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmarchon 5/9/02 6:39 p.m.
           So what? is right. Marathon is just a game. *NM*Rick Blaine 5/9/02 9:30 p.m.
                 No it's a race...archon 5/9/02 10:41 p.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmJacke 5/10/02 1:46 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 9:10 a.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmPaolo 5/10/02 3:20 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 11:36 a.m.
                 Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmTru7h 5/10/02 11:40 a.m.
                       Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 11:56 a.m.
                             Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmMark Levin 5/10/02 12:08 p.m.
                                   Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmB-Sharp 5/10/02 5:41 p.m.
                                         Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmMark Levin 5/10/02 9:31 p.m.
                                               Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmzudo 5/11/02 11:51 a.m.
                                               Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/11/02 2:34 p.m.
                                                     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmMark Levin 5/11/02 5:17 p.m.
                                                           Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmzudo 5/12/02 3:06 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigm•M 5/12/02 9:10 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/16/02 6:35 p.m.
                 Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmpaolo 5/11/02 3:40 a.m.
                       Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmzudo 5/11/02 12:01 p.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmDan Aris 5/10/02 6:29 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmJonah 5/10/02 8:35 a.m.
                 Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 11:52 a.m.
                 Oh Goodness...Dan Johnson 5/11/02 10:53 p.m.
                       Re: Oh Goodness...Sam 5/14/02 10:44 a.m.
                             Re: Oh Goodness...Dan Johnson 5/14/02 11:07 p.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/10/02 11:49 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New Paradigmzudo 5/11/02 11:54 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmNeutronBomb 5/15/02 3:16 a.m.
     Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmJoeDaMac 5/12/02 9:18 a.m.
           Re: Episode IV: A New ParadigmRick Blaine 5/14/02 9:46 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.