/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: double aught
Posted By: LunairDate: 5/6/02 3:33 p.m.

In Response To: Re: double aught (Hamish Sinclair)

I'll respond to the meaning of the word, and if that isn't what you were looking for, then look below. Down there be an analysis (though a short one) of Double Aught's name.

As copied and cleaned up a bit from my electronic dictionary, the word "aught" means:
"aught1 also ought (ôt) pron.
1. Anything whatever: “Neither of his parents had aught but praise for him” (Louis Auchincloss).

—adv.
Archaic.In any respect; at all. [Middle English, from Old English áuht. See aiw- below.]

aught2 also ought (ôt) n.
1. A cipher; zero.
2. Archaic. Nothing. [From an aught, alteration of a naught. See NAUGHT.]

aiw-. Important derivatives are: no1, ever, every, never, medieval, age, eternal, eon."

Go to "naught", and I find this:
"naught also nought (nôt) n.
1. Nonexistence; nothingness.
2. The figure 0; a cipher; a zero.

—pron.
1. Nothing: All their work was for naught.

—adj.
1. Nonexistent.
2. Insignificant. [Middle English, from Old English náwiht : ná, no; see ne below + wiht, thing; see wekti- below.]

ne. Important derivatives are: naught, naughty, neither, never, no1, no2, none, nor1, not, nothing, nay, annul, nefarious, neuter, nice, null, nullify, annihilate, non-, neglect, negligee, negotiate, negate, deny, renegade."

I presume that the phrase "Double Aught" comes from the idea of having 'Anything whatever' in their games, but twice that amount - perhaps one set of Anything whatever contains our reality, with its laws and physics, et cetera, and the other set of Anything whatever contains the things in their games that aren't in our reality (like the Jjaro, the Pfhor, et cetera - though some might argue that the Jjaro have been covered up, and the Pfhor are still in the future. If you think that, imagine one set to be what we know, and the other set to be the subject of the cover-ups and the future. Whatever toots your pancake, I guess).

Hope that helped,
-Lunair

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

double aughtmj 5/5/02 3:07 a.m.
     Re: double aughtHamish Sinclair 5/6/02 2:50 a.m.
           Re: double aughtLunair 5/6/02 3:33 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.