/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Frog Blasted Mothers
Posted By: Callie21VDate: 5/6/02 10:41 a.m.

In Response To: "Frog Blast" Your Mother, Please (:: Beer Can ::)

The Marathon Scrapbook finally put an end to the speculation over Bob's insane cry of "Frog Blast the Vent Core". Yes it was the first thing that came into Doug Zartman's head when asked to say something random for the assimilated Bobs (Simulacrums). But as Sigmund Freud would say there is nothing "random" about this. Was this a Freudian slip from Doug's early childhood or something more recent perhaps?

Back in May 8, 1997 Aaron Snyder <wittnietz@datatek.com> wrote:

I just watched your most recent "VidTip" film on "Bigger Guns Nearby" and think that I've found the answer as to what "Frog Blast the Vent Core!" from M2 means: along the way, you give map views of two interestingly-named areas: "BioVent Core #88A" and "BioVent Core #88B". Between these areas is a raised hallway containing a BioBus chip (Hypervision power-up), but one can only get there by grenade-hopping.

Get it? Grenade-hopping might be renamed "Frog blasting."

So, on this interpretation, "Frog Blast the Vent Core!" might merely mean "Grenade hop in the BioVent Core on 'Bigger Guns...'!"

So was "Frog Blast" 'Zartuese' for grenade hopping?

Matt Soell <matt@bungie.com> (Bungie Software) had this to say on the subject:

It would be just like Doug to offer hints to our customers via subliminal messages. ;-)

When I finally managed to track down the old "Frogblaster" himself and question him on his aversion to frogs he replied:

It's... too... painful. I see them in my dreams, leaping, croaking, spawning; staring at me through their huge nicitating membranes. You see, a frog killed my mother.

Well there you have it! ;-)

-- http://marathon.bungie.org/story/sounds.html

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

"Frog Blast" Your Mother, Please:: Beer Can :: 5/6/02 10:09 a.m.
     Re: "Frog Blast" Your Mother, PleaseREB 5/6/02 10:20 a.m.
     Re: Frog Blasted MothersCallie21V 5/6/02 10:41 a.m.
           Re: Frog Blasted Mothers:: Beer Can :: 5/6/02 1:25 p.m.
                 Re: Frog Blasted MothersAaron Gaponoff 5/6/02 4:27 p.m.
                 Re: Frog Blasted MothersM-Class 5/6/02 9:35 p.m.
                       Re: Frog Blasted Mothers:: Beer Can :: 5/7/02 1:07 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.