/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Idea for decoding the glyphs...
Posted By: carbonDate: 6/2/01 10:19 a.m.

Here it is:

Does anyone else notice that some of the possible solutions about the center symbols on the glyphs could correspond with Bungie games? Example:

On symbol 7, there is a Mayan number 74. What games do we know of that involve Central America, home of the Mayans? PiD.

What if the key to this puzzle (in this example) was to find the 74th (fill in the blank) in PiD, where the blank is a large block of text, and then use the numbers on the outside circle to correspond to words in the block of text that would form sentances?

An example:

"One day I went for a walk downtown. I noticed a ring of people surrounding an accident scene. It was hard to see, but the fact that they were all crowding around-as a rule, you should give people room if they're hurt. I noticed that the victims were a family, and started shouting, 'Give them room!'. All of the bystanders turned and looked at me like I was crazy."

Let's say that for the paragraph above, we are given the numbers 1, 12, 22, 35, 56, and 58.

Words 1, 12, 22, 35, 56, and 58, in that order, are:

"One ring to rule them all"

Bungie has always focused on text in their games--stories, especially in the Marathon series.

I think that the symbols themselves could be a clue as to which game the target text would be from, the number derived from the symbol would be the target text, and the ring of numbers along the outside would correspond with words within the target text that would form a sentance.

Unfortunately, I have been able to find a large text block in PiD that corresponds with the number 74 (at least on PiD.bungie.org) and I don't own the game.

Another central symbol that may represent a number is the "ACG" found on glyph 4. Grasshopper says that the letters A, C, and G may correspond to the nucleic acids Adenine, Guanine, and Cytosine, which form an amino acid called threonine, which he goes on to say could represent the number 309.

The trick is to find a target game in which to analyze text block 309. Abuse was vaguely related to genetics, but that game is very loosely connected to Bungie.

In addition, the glyph puzzle seems to relate mostly to Marathon, so I think trying to connect it to Abuse or PiD may be a hunt down the wrong trail.

However, I think that the idea of the central symbols being clues to finding a large block of text in which the numbers on the outside of the glyphs would identify words is a good one. If anyone can poke a sizable hole in this theory feel free--this puzzle seems next to impossible, and I doubt I'm going to be anywhere near the solution.

Good Luck-

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Idea for decoding the glyphs...carbon 6/2/01 10:19 a.m.
     Re: Idea for decoding the glyphs...The Tiny Toad 6/2/01 11:06 a.m.
           Re: Idea for decoding the glyphs...Ryo Asuka 6/2/01 11:59 a.m.
                 well...along those lines of logic...Interactive Civilian 6/2/01 5:46 p.m.
                       Re: well...along those lines of logic...Alexander S7range 6/3/01 8:08 a.m.
                 Re: Idea for decoding the glyphs...Locucious 6/3/01 7:28 a.m.
     the tru7h is out there...3of9 6/4/01 5:09 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.