/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Marathon and _The Matrix_?
Posted By: Aaron FreedDate: 3/15/02 7:39 p.m.

I was reading the story from the "dream levels" (I'm still searching for evidence to corroborate my theory that the story in these levels corresponds symbolically to the alternate timelines the player passes through), and as I was reading the following passage, the connection hit me:

"The subway station is very bright and shining from the sanitation team that has been sweeping a swath in front of me. The concrete floor is losing years of tarnish, keeping only the protective layer of the gum streaks which make up constellations in an otherwise vacant sky.

"The train arrives right on time, and just ahead of a mass of dark suited men who have been following me for what seems like years now. Between the sanitation and the suits, I must be going colorblind, but the train is here now, and those men, no, they won't catch me..."

Does this passage remind anyone else of the many subway scenes in The Matrix? Or, since The Matrix came out after Marathon Infinity, perhaps I should put it this way: Do the subway scenes in The Matrix remind anyone of this passage? The dark suited men that Neo always runs away from? The subway train? The crazy escapes from almost certain doom? Either the Wachowski Brothers are huge Bungie/DoubleAught fans, or else we have a big, whopping coincidence on our hands.

I never noticed...

Peace
Aaron

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.