/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: The Narsh Test
Posted By: Rincewind MoGDate: 1/27/02 1:54 a.m.

In Response To: The Narsh Test (Hamish Sinclair)

Curiouser and Curiouser... (Terminal 1)
Our little trick with the Pfhor's defense
drones didn't work as well as I had hoped.
Apparently when the #%*@!ng Nar attempted
to retake Epsilon Euobea from the Pfhor two
decades ago they used similar tactics, and
our friends here were prepared for it.

Feel the Noise (Terminal 2)
A Pfhor assault ship carrying the 723rd
Aggressor Squadron was badly damaged and
forced to land on Lh'owon. The 723rd is an
air armor division from Epsilon Euobea,
with a long history of successful ground
actions against the Nar's elite CFN units.
Secret Bungie Terminal:
A wise Nar once said "A Nebulon under the foot is worth two behind a plasma cannon," but the Nar are still waiting for their mythical savior with green pee to fly their coal-powered interstellar battlewagons to glory against the Nebulons....

...The Nar, who speak entirely in metaphor, call Chicago "the limitless, unforgiving sky; the prison which will forever watch over our graves" in the winter. Too bad it's winter.

Jason Sunday, November 5, 1995

M2 Final Screen
While Tau Ceti was being nuked down to bedrock in 2794, Pfhor scientists disassembled and removed the AI Leela from the Marathon, loading her aboard a vessel bound for the Pfhor homeworld. But the ship fell into the hands of a Nar privateer between jumps at Beta Naxos, and was never seen by the Pfhor again.

Thinking the cargo little more than scrap, the Nar captain sold the Pfhor ship, Leela and all, to a Vylae merchant. The subsequent crash of the Vylae FTL network when Leela was reassembled and reactivated is still legendary in the annals of rampancy, and the Vylae have long since accepted that they will never expunge her from their fifteen-world network.

Thing What Kicks. . . (Terminal 1)

5fc2e-log-39c1

Mobile Command Log Re'eer
origin: Re'eer
destin: Mobile Command Log
ref: Narsh and Pfhoric
stamp: personal

{ cmd : append }

Until now a harmless pastime, my comparative study of Narsh and Pfhoric has driven me to feign my own death to search for greater meaning in the Ranting of Robnar the Nar High Seer. I believe that Robnar was prophetic, and that he foretold of the pfhor garrisoning of Lh'owon, and its possible destruction by those who are about to come here.

The particular passage of my fascination was recorded during an Enforcer fourth class interrogation of Robnar after his capture in the battle of Bilky-fifty four. The recording translates roughly into Pfhoric as when one of the broken nest where the yellow trees sing seems like a nebulon to a drinniol, then the wrestling of six for nine things which get you stuff will be a shoot in spring, growing under the bed boards.

The classic translation of this prophesy is that Robnar was in fact describing the pain in his left tendrils, which had been crushed, burned, and pounded to produce his testimony. The classic interpretation calls for the "wrestling of six for nine things which get you stuff will be a shoot in spring, growing under the bed boards" to mean roughly 'when six of my nine(there are actually 13) tendrils are ripped from my body and the pain from them is keeping me awake.'

This interpretation continues by employing the rare Narsh reverse metaphor, where the first metaphorical composite is actually defined by its successor:

(the whole reads) "when six of my nine(there are actually 13) tendrils are ripped from my body and the pain from them is keeping me awake, even though I am alone and among yellow blooded whiners, I will never speak (Although gentle creatures, Drinniol are well known to enjoy crushing nebulons) because I cannot; the pain is too great."

As for the rest of my study, it will have to wait because I hear someone coming and I must not be found.

By Committee (Terminal 0: 2nd Message)
rogue conditioned unit
origin: High Admiral Tfear (Command)
destin: rogue conditioned unit
ref: escape
stamp: termination

Congratulations are in order, worm. Two weeks under the painful caresses of the Enforcers and still no progress. Only the Nar have proven more resistant, but they are unintelligent and largely incoherent even before interrogation. You are truly remarkable.

The Midlands

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Narsh TestHamish Sinclair 1/27/02 12:13 a.m.
     Re: The Narsh TestRincewind MoG 1/27/02 1:54 a.m.
           Re: The Narsh TestRincewind MoG 1/27/02 1:56 a.m.
           Re: The Narsh TestHamish Sinclair 1/27/02 2:48 a.m.
                 Re: The Narsh TestRincewind MoG 1/27/02 2:59 a.m.
                 Re: The Narsh TestKanen Faud'r 1/27/02 3:00 a.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.