/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon soundtrack remixes
Posted By: Lion O CyborgDate: 8/4/24 10:06 a.m.

In Response To: Marathon soundtrack remixes (ukimalefu)

:

: In case that doesn't work...

: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O6Q2osb0MQ

: There's download links in the video description, but I didn't try them.

I did and I got the albums. I love seeing more remixes of the Marathon OST and old game music in general like Tomb Raider 1-6, Half Life, 1998-2007 era Sonic, Freespace 1+2, Descent, Rise of the Triad, Halo 1-3 etc. especially in older formats like GBA MIDI (Sonic Advance 1-3 & Pinball Party soundfont), PC MIDI, Ablib & ModTracker.

When bringing old OST in those formats to newer sounds it reminds me of this statement on the subject by Ross I linked in my Story forum & blog playthrough of Marathon Redux:

Ross was talking about Strife in the video I clipped above but honestly I see it applying to Marathon better as less people have heard of Marathon, whereas anyone who's played Doom enough to read the Doom wiki to learn all they can about the games & engine has heard of Strife.

I sure did long before I saw Ross's video and the Veteran Edition came out later. Marathon's Quicktime 3.0 versions of the songs are a prime example of the bit where he says some music would sound off or outright bad as the composer was counting on the instrument they coded it for sounding terrible compared to the real thing or another font. Fast forward to today and besides this album we got the QuickTime 2013 remixes that were specifically designed to make them sound good in modern QuickTime unlike simply running the unedited MIDIs in 3.0.

I'd love to see more Marathon remixes, including the aforementioned other MIDI/chiptune & Mod soundfonts like many other games get. Same for the unofficial Marathon 2 OST.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon soundtrack remixesukimalefu 7/29/24 1:22 a.m.
     Re: Marathon soundtrack remixesLion O Cyborg 8/4/24 10:06 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.