/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

A Discovery on Carrol Street Station
Posted By: GregEDDate: 4/16/05 9:36 a.m.

Hey all.

You'd think that years and years after the release of MI, there's be nothing left to talk about, hmm? Well, maybe that's true (and it's entirely possible that with the advent of this forum, and no longer so much updating the 'Facts and Puzzling Things About', it might have been discovered before me...but in case it hasn't, here's my contribution, for old times sake.

I was glomming through the old MI archives on the Story board, and noticed something: the sole terminal on Carrol Street Station opens up with the header 'haga.kure'. Finding this sounded familiar, I Googled that term.

The direct translation of 'Hagakure' is 'hidden leaves' - not so useful in and of itself - but it is also the name of a book about the 'way of the samurai'. That would seem to have to have a lot in common with our ubiquitous security officer, wouldn't it?

- Father told us to 'always fight with honor', and honor is one of the major precepts of not only the way of the samurai, but all of Japanese culture at the time

- Samurai were devoted to a single ideal, a single path of thought, to the exclusion of all else: their chosen profession of warrior was all. And so it seemed to be as well with our 'hybrid, elusive destroyer'...

- A central point that the books keeps coming back to is 'The end is important in all things.' Considering this is linked to a screen where a failed timeline has seemed to come to pass, endings would seem to be very important here (a further theme espoused by the book is that 'if things end badly, all good that may have come before it will be erased'.

So, just a little tidbit to gnaw on. ;)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

A Discovery on Carrol Street StationGregED 4/16/05 9:36 a.m.
     Re: A Discovery on Carrol Street StationThing What Kicks... 4/16/05 9:54 a.m.
           Re: A Discovery on Carrol Street StationGregED 4/16/05 10:02 a.m.
                 Either way, it's still interesting! *NM*Bob-B-Q 4/16/05 2:00 p.m.
                 Re: A Discovery on Carrol Street StationLittle Kago 4/19/05 5:23 p.m.
                       Re: A Discovery on Carrol Street Stationdavros7 4/20/05 11:01 a.m.
     Re: A Discovery on Carrol Street StationRyu'Toth 4/17/05 4:55 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.