/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in Dreams
Posted By: ScifitekiDate: 12/22/02 3:56 p.m.

In Response To: DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in Dreams (Alfred Mordeir)

: “Where are monsters In dreams”: Terminal 0, message 1

: OK, Finally the good stuff. This is where it gets interesting. What follows
: is the first chapter of what has been referred to as the “Knife Saga”. I
: interpret the entire saga to be a representation of the Security officer’s
: thought patterns as he tries to figure out what’s going on and what to do
: next.

: [insert long speculation here]

Yes, yes... Possibly...

Take a closer look at those terminals, though.
"Well, there was this knife, more aptly described as a broadsword, and I see, well, I was swinging down the street on my way to a movie and this guy, yeah. He was about six foot eight and huge. He was holding this knife, only to me, I would describe it as a broadsword, something from the Knights of the Round. Before he can even open his mouth, he collapses. Meanwhile, I can barely lift a finger to put the toupee back on his glossy head because I'm shaking so much.

He was vomiting and I knew that he was alive because he kept saying something like 'durability' between convulsions. What happened next was really bizarre. Both ends of the street flood with black-suited men, just like in a movie.

These men look tough and pissed off, the eyes behind their sunglasses are probably cold as my hands are getting. I feel like my heart has stopped, I'm so damn scared. As they start to inundate the street in black, they move with one will.

I figure that I'm dead anyway, so I reach down for the blade. The blade is being covered by his vomit, but the hilt is clean. I can hear the men getting excited, but I can't stop. My fingers slide around the leather hilt which is oddly cold... "

I think a more interesting question is, who is the man who gives you the knife? What does he represent? There's a sort of odd mentor-hero thing going on here, with the passing of the knife from the nameless giant to you, at his death. Immediately after he falls, the men in black come. Which would suggest they had something to do with it...

I'm really quite unsure about this, but I'm pretty sure that the knife is not representative of Durandal. We've just been working for Tycho, remember? We definately haven't been working for the good guys. Yet we are handed the knife, and we use it against the men in black, who, presumably, want to kill us. Why?

Perhaps the knife is more represenative of, uh... Something else. Nothing I can think of quite fits. Does it represent our newly-found powers of reality-skipping, which we're using for the first time in this place? If so, is the giant the Jjaro? Does it represent whichever AI is leading us? That would explain why the knife changes, certainly...

I like the idea of the 'movie' being your original goal of skipping off and looking for a rogue star. But, remember, we visit the movie theatre later, with our 'girlfriend', (Who is an entire discussion in herself, so I won't touch on her meaning more than briefly) And we certainly never got to that rogue star.

And you'll note that, when we get to the movie theatre with our girlfriend, the giant is there, but he's wearing the same clothes as the men in black...

Another thing we could entertain is that the the giant is Durandal and Tycho and the Pfhor (At the same time), all of them responsible for the unleashing of the Wr'canctner. They've unleashed the beast, but it has killed, or nearly killed them, and so they pass the burden on to you. The knife. The men in black are all our obstacles, which we don't want to face but have to...

The next terminal. Suddenly, the men in black are gone from the street. Did the narrator kill them? Did they run away? It's unclear, but it says:
" The man is gone, and someone in sanitation cleaned up the aparitions and vomit in a real hurry."
So, the men in black and the giant and the vomit are all gone, swept away by the sanitation men. Are the sanitation men the Jjaro, sweeping away our last failure to make way for a new path? Whatever it is, the new path is the subway, but we can't get in the way we did before. Our usual method of getting in is lost, gone. Looks like we'll need to be unorthodox, use the side window instead.

(Also this may be a reference to overcoming something in the level... I can't check this out now, perhaps someone else could?)

There's an interesting confusion of the ground and the sky here:
" The concrete floor is losing years of tarnish, keeping only the protective layer of the gum streaks which make up constellations in an otherwise vacant sky. "
The floor is the sky is the floor is the sky? Huh?
Whatever it is, the sanitation men have been keeping it nice and spotless, apart from the gum-streak stars:
"The subway station is very bright and shining from the sanitation team that has been sweeping a swath in front of me."

And so the men in black come again, and there's so many of both the sanitation men and men in black that you're going "colourblind", unable to tell the difference. But, hey, it's only black and white, which is what colourblindness is, isn't it?
But you manage to escape away from the men in black again...
Interesting, the men in black have been following you "for what seems like years now". But didn't they just start chasing you?

Or did they.... : )

Anyway, that's enough random, unwarranted speculation for now. I'll wait for the next installment to post more madness. :D

Service With A Smile: ),
Scifiteki

[ | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in DreamsAlfred Mordeir 12/22/02 8:25 a.m.
     Re: DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in DreamsScifiteki 12/22/02 3:56 p.m.
           Re: DREAMS: Where Are Monsters in DreamsAlfred Mordeir 12/22/02 4:33 p.m.

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.